What civs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What civs?

I'm toying with an idea for a scen but my problem is what civs I should include. How would YOU divide whole modern earth when you have six civs to use? What countrys/factions I should take in the scen?
    "I've managed to get to know one girl properly and she was just the same as all the rest"

How modern do you intend to make it . . 1910, 1930 or 2006?

There has been a major shift in power from Europe to the Far East in that time. India and China are now major powers.

Have you considered putting it 50 years in the future when the world's population will be 10+ billion and, sure as hell, there will be conflict over oil, food, water and all other diminishing resources? Throw in some unavoidable global warming. To win, a player must reduce the global population to 1 billion. Definitely a bloodlust scen.

re:
    "I've managed to get to know one girl properly and she was just the same as all the rest"

Not surprising.

Even before the first humanoid fell out of a tree and discovered that there was food on the ground, females have been learning at their mother's knee. The same message has been passed down for 100,000+++ generations, ensuring that they all march in lockstep.

P.S. I'm feeling very cynical today.
    Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

What?
      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh

What?
        Looks like we are both having a bad hair day.

I assume that the "What" refers to the second half of my mad musings. For enlightenment, please check geeWish's sig. I think it is both funny and, in some respects, not too far from the truth.
        Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
        Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Re: What civs?

Ok, anyways.

Originally posted by geeWish
          I'm toying with an idea for a scen but my problem is what civs I should include. How would YOU divide whole modern earth when you have six civs to use? What countrys/factions I should take in the scen?
          1. U.S.
          2. E.U.
          3. China
          4. Islamic Countries
          5. India
          6. British Commonwealth
          7. Barbs - All The Rest

Comment

I'd put Russia in place of someone (maybe dividing the Commonwealth between the US and EU).

Comment

Is the commonwealth a factor in world politics or economics, really? I think that in the post 60's world (at most) its just a byword. Also, grouping all muslim countries together... dunno. More things divide than unite them. "Crises of the new world order" or Eivind's more recent "First Strike" do a better jib dividing both groups along political alignment, I think. Antarctic space Nazis are more plausible than a resurgent chaliphate . I'd go for the Russian federation instead of the CIS too, for much the same reasons.
              "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
              -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
              "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
              "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

I was planning on making the scen start somewhere around 2008. With major tension with two maybe three superpowers. The seventh "surprise" civ will make the scen...well atleast a bit different. And no, 'they' won't come from outerspace.

Comment

Re: Re: What civs?

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                  Ok, anyways.

1. U.S.
                  2. E.U.
                  3. China
                  4. Islamic Countries
                  5. India
                  6. British Commonwealth
                  7. Barbs - All The Rest
                  The Commonwealth is far from being a politically homogeneous entity; it's not even an economic bloc anymore now that the UK is part of the EU.

I'd replace it with Russia.
                  http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Well my thought was that leaving out the Commonwealth (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Britain) would be non-representative of the nature of the countries. If they were made up of Barb cities then there might be the problem of evil Canadians attacking the U.S., or the AI attacking Australia, something that I can't ever see happening since the two are good natured democracies. I would lump in Britain with the Commonwealth, if only to show some committed independence from the EU.

Now Russia on the other hand, the way things have been going, well, I could see them as being thrown in with the barbs. Economically the world will change over the next 50 years or so, but for the moment I would stick with the countries currently in the WTO as being economically important.

Comment

Working...
                    X