FreeCiv - the only future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeCiv - the only future

I remain doubtful that the civ2 source code will ever be released (not without a financial push anyway), and that the best option left would be freeCiv.

I've began playing freeciv more and more - I'm hoping the latest version comming will allow for civilization starting places that aren't so random, so i can play a giga map of the earth with 30 nations. It has been my dream to play Civ2 with this many nations on a giga map, and with freeciv the possibility of customizing civilization to your own particular style of play surpasses anything that could be achieved modifying the rules.txt of regular civ2.

I'm converted.
    "bear yourselves as Huns of Attila"
    -Kaiser Willhem II

Freeciv is indeed a brilliant creation, and while I of course
    have it on my HD...I still also play and mod CIV2...When it
    becomes so like CIV2 that the two are interchangable, I
    might consider increasing my play levels of the game...

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wilhelm,

There´s a Civ2-FC map converter you can use. It works from the commandline and does gigamaps as well. Here you can find a converted gigamap.

Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

All they need is a full fledged event system. That's it.

Comment

These things take time, still we have a nice graphics set for FC now which puts us around the level of the original Civ2. Back when it only had basic scenario support.
          Talking about basic scenario support, i´m starting to experiment with the FC mapeditor again. My hope is to create a simple ww2 scenario on the European map.

But as they say, with RL in the way these things take time.
          Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

Another thing that takes time is to get new Freeciv releases out the door. The 2.1 final release for example, is long overdue.

Freeciv has a community of some very talented and devoted developers, who have been around for a very long time and unfortunately are very busy with their real lives these days.

The project desperately needs an influx of New Blood....

Comment

Freeciv needs financial support... and I'll provide it if needs be.
              "bear yourselves as Huns of Attila"
              -Kaiser Willhem II

Comment

Financial support would be useful if we have a specific goal in mind like a new server or another conference but what we need most is some fresh blood, creativity and ideas.

I´ve taken a bit time off for awhile and I´m ready again to add a few improvements. I think FC can be improved on the following points...

On a large resolution 1280x1024 many units are starting to get to small. The units need to be upgraded to twice their size.

Mapmaking is a pain without a zoom function. While that feature isn´t implemented we could make a special mapdrawing tileset. Small resolution tiles, without frills would be ideal for mapdrawing and it´s great for a strategic/tactical overview.

Comment

I believe there are several tilesets that could work well as mapediting tilesets: For example 'Tinydent' or any of the other Trident-derivates.

Comment

Working...
                  X