Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I interchange the color of 2 civs in TOT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I interchange the color of 2 civs in TOT?

I've encountered a major problem with the playability of Curtsibling's Daleks. I'm trying to play UNIT, one of the 2 human civs.

Unfortunately, the two human civs predominate on the main map, their cities are intermixed and they share some units.

As can be seen on the screenshot, there is no difficulty with cities on the main map because the city colors are quite distinct. However, unit identification is almost impossible. In the screenshot, the upper unit is human and the lower is UNIT. To me the head of the human's health bar is not even close to the color of its home city, Kirkwall Street.

On the World Map, there are 9 UNIT cities in the upper RH corner and 5 in and west of the white rectangle. These one could spot relatively easily. However, there are 2 more isolated cities between the two clusters. Good luck in finding them. IMHO, this precludes easy use of the World Map to monitor the overall situation.

UNIT is civ #2 and the Daleks (dirty white) are civ #1. Is there any reasonably easy way of interchanging the Dalek and Unit civ colors, short of a massive hex edit? I don't care what color the Daleks are.....one can easily tell the monsters just by the type of unit.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AGRICOLA; June 2, 2006, 00:41.
    Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

I think I remember encountering this when I converted RomaMini to ToT. The deal is that the civ color for the unit bar is a mesh of the civs two dominant colors. Try screwing with the cities.gif graphic to see about changing colors.

Comment

Two pixels above each flag in cities.bmp determine tribe colours:
      1. The colour of the city name font.
      2. The colour of the city size box, unit key (shield) and team colour masks for sprites. In the game, the colour on the unit key is a darker version of this pixel (half the RGB value).
      Attached Files
      Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

On a map like that with lots of cities close together and forming regular patterns, it will be a problem. I'd suggest just rearranging the colors on the city b, so that the human civs didn't all have similar colors. One blue, one red, etc. will give more contrast.
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

One could always put the cursor over a unit to see what faction it belongs to....

But I can understand how the ToT RGB values can cause headaches. Using Catfish's good
          advice here, I will make an attempt to make units easier to see in the final version.

Last edited by curtsibling; June 2, 2006, 03:28.
          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Many sincere thanks to Catfish and the ace designers who posted. The advice worked perfectly and easily. I would add one caveat. It appears that one has to restart the scen in order for the changes to take effect. Just loading a save doesn't seem to do the trick.

Here is a screenshot, approximately the same as the previous one, with a new color for the UNITS civ. I like it.
            Attached Files
            Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
            Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Working...
            X