Caravans and Corruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caravans and Corruption

Since EotRS has a significant feature involving caravans, and I've recently (in v1.2) converted the Japanese gov't to Monarchy (and for my own personal information), I'd like to know if the trade value of caravans is affected by corruption and, if so, is the Palace distance calculated from the source city or the city being traded with? It's probably in the manual, but I haven't seen mine for over four years now.

Re: Caravans and Corruption

Originally posted by Patine
    Since EotRS has a significant feature involving caravans, and I've recently (in v1.2) converted the Japanese gov't to Monarchy (and for my own personal information), I'd like to know if the trade value of caravans is affected by corruption and, if so, is the Palace distance calculated from the source city or the city being traded with? It's probably in the manual, but I haven't seen mine for over four years now.
    I don't think the trade value of vans is affected by corruption. IIRC, both the delivery bonus and the value of the on-going trade routes are calculated using the trade arrows of the source and destination city. For the delivery bonus (cash and research) that's it - I think. The additional arrows from the on-going value of the trade are affected by corruption in the same way as for all other trade arrows in the source city.

RJM
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Originally posted by Patine
      I've recently (in v1.2) converted the Japanese gov't to Monarchy
      Have you tested for possible side effects of having Monarchy as government if Japan expands beyond ~25 cities?

I'm pretty sure that I've just come up against unexpected but severe happiness problems while testing Techumseh's Warlords of China, playing one of the 3 secondary warlords, all of whom have Monarchy as their form of government. I'm now looking to see if there are ways to work around this or whether the governments must be changed for the secondary civs to be playable.

There were no difficulties with Monarchy until the city count jumped from 21 to 29 through the conquest of 8 cities in a single turn (the basis of the Chinese claim that they invented Blitzkrieg in 1919 ). At the start of the following turn, 5 or 6 cities inexplicably gained 1 unhappy citizen, thereby throwing some of them into disorder. Going back 3-4 years, when I last played vanilla Civ2, I can recall problems with rapid expansion early in the game when only Despotism and Monarchy were available. Monarchy is described as a form of government suitable for a young civilization.

Also, with Monarchy, the corruption rate is horrible. On a smaller map than you use in EOTRS, the rate approaches 80%. I'd be interested to know what the rate is in Melbourne if the Japanese manage to conquer it.
      Last edited by AGRICOLA; May 21, 2006, 09:20.
      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Well, Papeete was making virtually no money as I recall, and it's the most farflung city Japan begins with. I haven't yet tested v1.2 (as I'm not done the changes yet), but Monarchy may end up troublesome in the end. Would you suggest Republic? Communism with a Palace distance corruption modifier? To be honest, Fundamentalism just made the Japanese too powerful and wealthy.

Comment

Off the cuff, I really don't know what to suggest. Perhaps try various forms of government on the 4 attached saves:

Dec '41
          Jul '42
          Jul '43
          Jul '44

Under Monarchy, I could not find a way to remove the widespread unhappiness in cities in any of these saves.

I hope that you can use the saves as test beds to see which form of government best suits your purpose.
          Attached Files
          Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
          Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Increasing the riot factor in the rulestxt should solve the disorder problem.
            STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Indeed - The higher the riot factor the less overall unhappy citizens.

If you double or treble the current figure in rules,
              it should placate the maximum amount of CIV2 cities.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              X