Cinco de Mayo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinco de Mayo

In honor of Cinco de Mayo in Latin America, does anyone know of a scen, however good, about Benito Juarez' struggle against Maximilian in Mexico, about whose success the holiday commemerates? Might be a good subject for one if none exists.

Checked the Spanish CIV2 Site:

And could not see anything that matched the historical scale you mentioned...

So you may be in luck!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

What is Cinco de Mayo?

Fifth of May?

Comment

Yeah.

And for the record, it's as important as USA's fourth of july here in Argentina
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

That must mean my celebration of July 9th is not unrequited!

5/5/1862 — Invading French troops were defeated by Zaragosa leading a army of crack peasants and cattle.
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Does anyone know for certain what Mexican uniforms looked like at the Battle of Puebla? I've tried looking before but haven't been able to come up with a definitive answer as to what the colour and style were.

Comment

For certain? Nope. The Mexicans defending this first invasion did not possess quite the sartorial splendor of the French. Most of the accounts I've read show something like this enactment.

Have you seen Uniforms of the Mexican Adventure? Can't vouch for its accuracy, though. Actually sounds like a fun topic for a scenario! In case you haven't seen them, two sites giving more detailed descriptions are Cinco de Mayo - The Battle of Puebla, 1862 and The French Intervention in Mexico (1862-67) By Timothy Neeno, M.A..
              El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

I've considered just such a scenario for sometime in the future. It was a bit like Napoleon III's Iraq. The Osprey book "The Mexican Adventure 1861-67" shows the colorful uniforms of the Mexican Republican Army, the Mexican Imperial Army, and the foreign units from France, Belgium and Austria.

The strategic situation was interesting too, with powerful, but limited, invading forces trying to occupy a vast country against a growing insurrection. Following the end of the American Civil War, there was a real and growing threat of intervention by the US.
                Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

There's even a warlord element in it, too. Be fun to set up a strategic need for trade with the Confederacy. When the South falls, things get rough for the French.

How would you handle attrition to disease?

[Edit]
                  Amazon has enabled its "Search Inside" feature for The Mexican Adventure 1861-67 (Men-at-Arms)! The plates appear on pp 25-32. To see the uniforms, set up an account, search for units that interest you, and clink on the links to pages containing the plates.
                  [/Edit]
                  Last edited by Boco; May 6, 2006, 15:04.
                  El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

I recall in Harry Turtledove's alternate history novel "How Few Remain" (which was made into a scenario by Our_Man) Maximillian had remained in power in his Empire of Mexico, helped by the fact that the Confederacy had won the Civil War in Turtledove's timeline. The Empire goes on to be one of the south's greatest ally's through the next three continental wars that follow.

As for the book you mention, I think I'll try to set up an account on that site so I can have a look at some of those uniforms.

Comment

That's kind of interesting. The Confederacy contained a lot of hawks eager to expand at Mexico's expense. Well, I suppose the enemy-of-my-enemy rule can be pretty persuasive.

Plan your searches ahead of time, Sarsstock. Amazon doesn't allow unlimited access. Tech, do you have the book? From the index, the following is apparent:

Republican Army: Plates A-D (pp 25-28)
                      Imperial Army (includes European mercenaries): Plates F-H (pp 30-32)
                      French Army: Plates C, E (p 27, 29)

Let me know if you get locked out. I may be able to get some of the ones you miss.
                      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r
                        Yeah.

And for the record, it's as important as USA's fourth of july here in Argentina
                        you meant veinticinco de Mayo, i guess.

Comment

While we're at it, what South American scenarios exist?
                          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

South American Crisis by Alejandro (Academia) Playtest PBEM can be found over at evo.
                            "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                            It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

@Boco - Yes, I have the book. There are several Mexican scenarios over on the Spanis site. Mike Daumen did a South American liberation scenario a few years ago called "¡LIBERTAD O MUERTE!" Unfortunately, I can't find it on any of the remaining sites. I have it on my hard drive if you want it.
                              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
                              X