Fall of France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall of France

With EotRS well under way to completion and the original idea of 'Rise of the Third Reich' being quite daunting: I mean, the whole 12 year history of Nazi Germany in one scen; I decided on fairline's advice in the WW2 Graphics Showcase Thread for a less global scen for my next one. With things like the Eastern Front and the North African Campaign well taken care of ('Red Front for ToT' and 'Desert War,' respectively) I'd settled on one where many of the units made for RotTR could still be used, as well as some new ones, and one that would be a challenge: the Fall of France.

It's May 1940. After German victory in Poland, Norway, and Denmark, Britain and France steel themselves for the worst. You're Paul Reynaud, Premier of a disintegrating regime with an outmanned and outgunned army. You sit behind the Maginot Line with British aid propping you up. Hitler has decided to solve the Maginot problem by going around through the Low Countries. What can you do against the Steel Dragon of the Wehrmacht: survive! Victory is determined by how long you can last before Henri Petain's defeatists oust you and surrender to Hitler, or, if you put up a truly valiant fight, thwarting them and going down with dignity. You have support from the BEF, and the Low Countries will defend themselves, but for the most part you're on your own. This is kind of a bleak scen, but is meant to bring out the best in an experienced player. I need some advice, ideas, a few units, and a map, if anyone can oblige me.

Work continues on EotRS; this project here is only in it's beginning stages. The 'Contemporary Middle East' scen I've mentioned is ready for release once some graphics and events tweaking are done as well. 'The Solar Revolution' is currently taking a back seat due to lack of new ideas and inspiration, I'm afraid; I do plan to return to it one day though.

I once helped Kashanka (I think it was her, or was it broken erika?) with placing some cities for a Fall Gelb scenario she started. Maybe it could be useful to you, as she abandoned the project.

I would argue however, that the scenario would be too lopsided and unrealistic with an allied win. A more balanced war/battle which could have gone both ways would be more fun to play.

That would rule out ww2 as most of the wars are already covered, but a nice zoomed in battle scenario would be cool. What about a Operation Zitadelle tank battle scenario? I've thought of this myself, but at the moment I'm bogged down in real life stress.

But there are also others not yet made:
    -Battle of Midway
    -Italian Campaign
    -Operation Bagration
    -Battle of Normandy
    -Battle of Berlin (one I've started, but never got to complete)

Many potentially fun scenarios to make!

Sorry if I killed your inspiration for Fall Gelb. Don't mind my mumble. Do what you want!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Eivind IV; April 26, 2006, 10:05.
    Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Defending France may be possible, if you make the victory conditions appropriate. As you put it, though, it'd likely be grim.

If you want something small and less one-sided, try Crete, Sicily, Guadalcanal, or New Guinea '42-43. Did someone complete one on the Winter War?
      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

I'd say the Siege of Stalingrad, but I don't know how involved that sucker would be.

Comment

That sucker'd be both involved and a lot of fun! It could give either side both an offensive and defensive role.

That early scene in "Enemy at the Gates" with the conscripts (penal battalion?) forced over the Volga to attack entrenched Germans in Stalingrad still gives me the shivers.
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Pleeaase, more WWII scenarios, we haven't had enough of these!!

Why don't anyone of you spend your skills on a Rise of Brandenburg-Prussia scenario

Comment

Someone should do a scenario about that, indeed!

Not enough musket-era scenarios out there...!

Why not give it a shot yourself, Ecthy?

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

There are various aspects of the Battle in the West that
                can make interesting scenario fodder...What if the Allies
                had held out with more effect in hardened pockets?

What if the escape at Dunkirk never happened?

How would a bloody stalemate have affected the 3d Reich?

Some interesting events potential...Would a wary USSR
                make a move on a floundering Germany, whose vast
                bulk is stuck in France???

Comment

Certainly, I agree, Fall Gelb would be a toughy to pull off successfully and sincerely. On the other hand, it could be a compelling scen if properly done, too. I had thought victory would be based on the number of turns (or the whole game, if you're really good) you last, with each turn being a day. There'd be six players: France (with BEF and RAF support by events), Belgium, Luxumbourg, and the Netherlands (who'd be 'buffer' players), the Germans, and the Italians. Maginot Line Fortresses would be tough, but crackable later on. Neutrals (Switzerland, Andorra, and Spain) would be impassable terrain. I also need a way to stop the Germans from throwing tonnes of units away at the Maginot Line, but instead attack the Low Countries. This scen may be a doomed effort, but I might give it a try.

As for those other scen ideas, they sound great! Maybe I (or others) should try them someday!

Comment

@Eivind: I think I could use this map and these cities, too. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Patine
                      Certainly, I agree, Fall Gelb would be a toughy to pull off successfully and sincerely. On the other hand, it could be a compelling scen if properly done, too. I had thought victory would be based on the number of turns (or the whole game, if you're really good) you last, with each turn being a day. There'd be six players: France (with BEF and RAF support by events), Belgium, Luxumbourg, and the Netherlands (who'd be 'buffer' players), the Germans, and the Italians. Maginot Line Fortresses would be tough, but crackable later on. Neutrals (Switzerland, Andorra, and Spain) would be impassable terrain. I also need a way to stop the Germans from throwing tonnes of units away at the Maginot Line, but instead attack the Low Countries. This scen may be a doomed effort, but I might give it a try.

As for those other scen ideas, they sound great! Maybe I (or others) should try them someday!
                      The AI tends to go for valuable units...

So I assume you could make the forts as immobile, but high-cost.

Comment

Man, I really think WWII scenarios are boring. I know that the best of the best here are really into the history, art, and complexity of re-creating the big war accurately; cheers though guys I can't even finish one. Wish some of you would turn some energy toward creative, fantasy, sci-fi, alternative stuff. hmm. Might be feeling a bit irritable tonight, not sure why I said that. Also, Cyrion, just about finally finished my first full play of Discworld. Very cool, but sort of boring; just not enough units and oh, the sounds don't work. heh heh. Love you guys though,
                        cheers,
                        br
                        Ants. An MGE scenario
                        http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?file=57835_ant.zip

Comment

Oh yeah, Cyrion, very Sto-ney though
                          I played as Ankh-morpok
                          Ants. An MGE scenario
                          http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?file=57835_ant.zip

Comment

I'll continue the threadjacking by saying that I've heard Cyrion will eventually update the Discworld scen (or make a sequel, something like that) for ToT. I guess you'll get plenty of units by then. Also try his Pomarj scenario. It's very challenging and fun.

Sry for OT
                            "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                            It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

It's very challenging and fun.
                              Challenging, yes. Fun, not particularly, unless one likes very, very slow moving scens. At ~300 turns, it is 3/4 the length of a standard game. Much too long for a scen.

IMHO, a long D&D campaign does not translate at all well into a scen.
                              Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                              Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Working...
                              X