happiness as a function of number of cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• happiness as a function of number of cities

Ok, as the sands of time begin to obscure the data on this site, it becomes more and more difficult for me to dig it up. So, I'm going to ask here:

What's the relationship between mapsize, government, number of cities, and number of base redhats??? (on deity of course)

Thanks guys

There is some info here http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001279.html
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I seem to recall that (playing Deity) after the first additional city causes the problem, it happens again every second additional city. Just remember to check the Attitude screen before ending the turn.

In Monarchy it is as big a problem that the additional city factor causes the new city you just built to start off with a redhead, meaning that as you approach that number you have to remember to send a warrior along for martial law. But, you probably know that already.

Monk
      so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

It's been a long time and I rarely build large empires so eoe.

My recollection is that before monarchy the 5th city causes a problem; with monarchy it's the 7th and with republic it's the 9th. I thought these numbers could be found (and modified) in rules.txt, but I just had a quick look and couldn't find them. I believe that the problem affects the new city and one other, but I can't remember if there is a way to tell which other city will be hit.

RJM at Sleeper's
        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
          There is some info here http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001279.html
          Such a bad help... and from SG?
          The happiness thread in the GL index explains that. Recently somebody suggested this thread in the debate about Shakespeare.
          Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Argh, I used to know this.

It's dependent on map size and difficulty level as well as government type.

I recall that gigamaps are the same as large maps - 7th city starts with an unhappy citizen in Despotism on Deity. The 5th city is unhappy on a medium map, IIRC. Not sure about small maps.

The really annoying thing is that the unhappiness seems to rotate - forcing the application of martial law everywhere. Has anyone figured out a pattern to this, or for that matter - has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Perhaps it's just me...
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Sorry ST - but all the GL links I tried were broken - are they fixed now?

Stu
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I must admit my 'work' doesn't cover the problem of map size and the SG's link covers it partially.

SG, IMO the links in GL work. The GL itself at tiscali.cz doesn§t work well but at least the zipped file should work...

The really annoying thing is that the unhappiness seems to rotate - forcing the application of martial law everywhere.
                It should happen if you lose a city.
                And I don't know what happens if any city is lost (of any civ), but I would expect the ACNs won't change.
                But I detected a change of unhappiness too - it was in ELG #1 after an AI civ was destroyed IIRC.
                Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

From the Great Library no. 1 thread, Dave V responds:

Here's an attempt at a table:
                  _____________Deity___Emperor___King____Prince____W arlord____Chieftan
                  Despotism/_____4________6_______8_______10________12_______1 4
                  Anarchy
                  Monarchy______6________9_______12______15________1 8_______21
                  Republic_______8________12______16______20________ 24_______28
                  Democracy_____10_______15______20______25________3 0_______35
                  Communism/____255______255_____255_____255_______255______25 5
                  Fundamentalism

Comment

Originally posted by Grigor
                    From the Great Library no. 1 thread, Dave V responds:
                    I think that was for small maps. The limits are higher for medium, large and larger maps.

And I think my earlier post was wrong
                    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

This phenomenon is wellknown as the "riot factor".
                      My experience meets it manytime, especialy at monarchy level : at deity, each seventh city adds a red citizen (then double unhappy : black).
                      With nx6 cities+1, the initial citizen is unhappy and the presence of a military unit is not suffiscient to make him happy ! I have to change him in elvis during building a temple.
                      Later, with WoWs as Oracle or HG, then Michael or JSB, it's easier to grow.
                      In my opinion, the map size is not involved in the riot factor which depends on level and number of cities.
                      Last edited by JCP; April 20, 2006, 13:42.
                      JCP
                      Paris, FRANCE

Comment

Since map sizes are discrete yet numerous, do we have happiness as a function of map size with a given number of cities?

We must get a bivariate function.

Comment

Working...
                        X