Wiki tip on making ToT scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiki tip on making ToT scenarios

I've started a wiki tip on making Test of Time scenarios on the SL site: http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph..._Time_scenario

It's just a start, but I'll add more as I go, and I hope everyone else will also. Please feel free to correct any errors I've made.

I'm concentrating on how to start a multi-map scenario right now, but I hope that with the help of the community, we can turn it in to a comprehensive how-to guide for ToT scenarios.
    Last edited by techumseh; March 11, 2006, 17:24.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Good work, Tech! We should be getting new intermap whizzes in no time.

Rather than learn Wiki today, I'd rather post a few observations and get back to EAv2. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I don't think (transporter improvements) they send air or naval units, but I'd have to try it.
    Both air and sea units can move via this improvement.

Here's my list of things that are difficult or impossible to change except by hex editing once the game has been launched for the first time:
    Note the italics.

• There are three types of teleporters. Each has a unique icon in cities.bmp and a unique line in Labels.txt (i.e. 3 lines toward the end immediately before "Intercept Chat Messages"). Functionally, the three types are identical. As the engine reads @MAP_TRANSPORT_RELATIONSHIPS, it assigns graphics/labels as follows:

Type 0: lines 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16
       Type 1: lines 2, 5, 8, 11, 14
       Type 2: lines 3, 6, 9, 12, 15

The simplest solution is to use the same graphics for all three types. It is also helpful to insert lines such as "Type 'n' to go to a&nother map" to describe each one in Labels.txt. This shows up in the Status pane under the terrain label as "Type 'n' to go to another map", which both informs the player that this square is a portal, and that typing 'n' is a keyboard shortcut to hop maps. As a devious alternative, the graphics and label can be identical to that of a fortress, airbase, or terrain resource (in a square that has the resource suppressed by hexing). It will be difficult for the player to discern the difference.

• To create one-way teleporters, I think the following sequence works[list=1][*]Create a normal teleporter between the squares of interest[*]Make sure that the other maps have ocean at these coordinates.[*]Remove the teleporter from the square destined to be a city.[*]Found the city.[/list=1] At the end of this, you should have a normal city on one map and a teleporter at the same coordinates on the other map. Units can enter the city from the teleporter, but are unable to return.

• Here's a help section I insert immediately before @UNITS_ADVANCED. It helps me keep track of map relationships.
    Code:
    ;                                       Tribal-OOB, 0  
    ;                                       |OOB-Sudan, 2       
    ;                                       ||OOB-Sudan, 1  
    ;                                       |||OOB-Sudan, 0  
    ;                                       ||||Tribal-Sudan, 2  
    ;                                       |||||Tribal-Sudan, 1  
    ;                                       ||||||Tribal-Sudan, 0  
    ;                                       |||||||NE Theatre-Sudan , 2  
    ;/Deserts                               ||||||||NE Theatre-Sudan , 1  
    ;SM U-Flot                              |||||||||NE Theatre-Sudan , 0      No SPR  
    ;|Italian                               ||||||||||NE Theatre-OOB, 2        |Barb won't expire  
    ;||Ruwalli                              |||||||||||NE Theatre-OOB, 1       || Enter Impassable  
    ;|||Sanussi                             ||||||||||||NE Theatre-OOB, 0      || |Unbribable Barb  
    ;||||Turk                               |||||||||||||NE Theatre-Tribal, 2  || ||Helo not damaged  
    ;|||||Allied                            ||||||||||||||NE Theatre-Tribal, 1 || |||Can't Disband  
    ;||||||Saudi (Barbarian)                |||||||||||||||NE Theatre-Tribal, 0|| ||||Invisible  
    ;|||||||           K$                   ||||||||||||||||                   || |||||  
    @UNITS_ADVANCED
    00000010, 00000000,-1,0000000000000000,0000000000000000,0000000000000000, 10010010
    Can't seem to prevent the last line from wrapping, but hopefully you get the idea.
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Working...
    X