Auf Deutsch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auf Deutsch?

How would I translate "Tender at Antalya" (as in a U-Boat tender anchored in the port of Antalya, Turkey) to German? "Tender an Antalya"? This is a tech name, so it needs to be short.
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Tender in Antalya? Maybe...

Am I right that a tender is a supply-ship?
    Alles ist möglich! Nichts wird uns aufhalten!
    Solidarität mit Island!

Join the Þ ß ð ä ö ü õ - Front!

Comment

Ja, das stimmt. Danke.

We've reached the limit of my German.
      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Nien, SetuSinger. Ist ein schmoochy buch!
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Antalya ist empört
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Der Heidi ist lieb?

I just love (no joking!) this english-deutsch with words like "Das Uber Soldat" und "Schwein Hund"...

Alles ist möglich! Nichts wird uns aufhalten!
            Solidarität mit Island!

Join the Þ ß ð ä ö ü õ - Front!

Comment

German is an ugly language, and I am grateful for those moments I don't have to speak it.
              Follow the masses!
              30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

German is neither easy to handle nor practical in everyday life. I am into studying European languages and I guess German is one of the most difficult to learn so I am actually glad to be a native German speaker...

German is unsuitable for short expressions, but 'Tender in Antalya' is ok.

Comment

Hm, depends. German is just incredibly slow to speak, especially when compared to languages such as French or Russian.

Also, the only hard thing about German is capitalization, and maybe articles. Other than that, one should not encounter too many difficult aspects of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel
                    German is an ugly language, and I am grateful for those moments I don't have to speak it.
                    du bist kein Poet, oder? Deutsche Lyrik? Hässlich?

Niemals!
                    Deutscher Meister 2004: WERDER BREMEN

Comment

Goethe and Schiller are among the very few people who brought some beauty to the language. Sadly, it never spread.
                      Follow the masses!

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel
                        Goethe and Schiller are among the very few people who brought some beauty to the language. Sadly, it never spread.
                        Can't understand how you can hate German language. Are you Saxonian?
                        It perhaps is not the most melodious one if it's sung but as for its ability to express things very clearly and exactly I like German language very much.
                        I also like the sound, though it may be a little rough.
                        Deutscher Meister 2004: WERDER BREMEN

Comment

Originally posted by Cifer Almasy
                          Can't understand how you can hate German language. Are you Saxonian?
                          No, I'm not Saxon

I just think German is a very cacophonic language, so it has a very unpleasant sound. Standard, unchanged High German is bearable to me, and I am also rather fond of the northern German and Berlin dialects, but in general, the problem is that most German speakers just can't speak German. They can't intonate it properly and the vast majority of dialects sounds horrible.
                          I can't explain it completely, I'm just not very fond of the language.
                          Follow the masses!

Comment

Stefan, have ever read Mark Twain's "The Awful German Language"?

Every noun has a gender, and there is no sense or system in the distribution; so the gender of each must be learned separately and by heart. There is no other way. To do this one has to have a memory like a memorandum-book. In German, a young lady has no sex, while a turnip has. Think what overwrought reverence that shows for the turnip, and what callous disrespect for the girl.
                            And if I have not also shown that German is a harassing and infuriating study, my execution has been at fault, and not my intent. I heard lately of a worn and sorely tried American student who used to fly to a certain German word for relief when he could bear up under his aggravations no longer -- the only word whose sound was sweet and precious to his ear and healing to his lacerated spirit. This was the word Damit. It was only the sound that helped him, not the meaning; [3] and so, at last, when he learned that the emphasis was not on the first syllable, his only stay and support was gone, and he faded away and died.

Comment

I forgot german almost interely.But,german dificult?Not at all.The articles?(If I say der Tur or das Tur,you would understand me,don't you?)Capitalizing?Is a help.The only hard thing is the verb at the end because one must memorize everything without a clue what is all about.
                              Dificult is english.A lot of sounds(just think at the sounds of the letter "a") a lot of small words:so,fast,almost similar sounds;no rules,just it is so because it is.
                              Best regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X