No announcement yet.

Apolytoners' Hall of Fame: December 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations to our newest inductees!

LaFayette-
    Obituary Courtesy Apolyton's Civ2 Community
    La Fayette (Michel Baise) is known as an excellent Civ2 strategist and game play debater (author of the Three Arrows Strategy and the Twin Cities Strategy), a Civ2 mechanics researcher (a diplomat/spy expert), and as an enthusiastic scenario player. He perfected methods of spectacularly rapid victory in scenarios from impossibly weak starting positions. He was also a tireless participant in almost all single player contests and succession games from 1999 through 2005.

La Fayette died of cancer in January 2006 at the age of 66, but we still feel his presence -- kind, witty, encouraging and uplifting, always quick to respond to questions with the best of helpful advice. He was always thoughtful, insightful, unfailingly polite, and true to his commitments. No one on this site more embodies the concept of "Civilization" than La Fayette: he is a true gentleman.

Note from the Hall Administrator
    LaFayette, as noted above, was well respected by the Civilization community. He had already been popularly elected into the Hall when sad news of his demise reached the forums. As a sign of honor and respect, posting of the December elections results was delayed until a proper memorial could be contribuited. Now the time has passed when we can interact with LaFayette, however, the memory of him and his words on the forum can always be with us. In reading his articles for the Great Library and elsewhere around the site, let us remember this brilliant and friendly figure.
    (registered Oct 2000)

Berzerker- Berzerker, known for being the resident Libertarian in the Off-Topic, brings colour and vibrancy to the forums in the political discussion threads. He is an active Civ II Multiplayer.
    (registered May 1999)

Dr Strangelove- An actual Doctor, Dr Strangelove describes himself as the forum's leading medical expert. He can often be found in the Off-Topic forums, debating or dispensing medical advice.
    (registered 2-15-99)

Harlan- Known across the forums for the scenarios he designed for Civ II. His 1996 Lord of the Rings Scenario for Civ II is to this day considered one of the greatest, but he is also known for Timur, The Forgotten War (detailing WWII in China), WWII: Pacific Theatre, WWII: European Theatre, The Mongols, and The Viking Age.

Harlan created the European Map Maker, which greatly expedites the creation of maps in civ II mapediting programs. Also, Harlan co-authored the Advanced Scenario Design Guide with Leon Marrick.

He is the recipient of the fourth ever-awarded Silver Fleece Medal, given in March 1999 by the Spanish Civilization Site, as well as a member of the CivFanatics Civ II Scenario Hall of Fame (Inducted in 1997), and recipient of several awards from the highly-respected Hodadian Award Center- including a designation as the Best Modpack Designer of 1999.

Several of Harlan Thompson's scenarios were actually included in the ActiVision games CTP and CTP2.
    (registered 2-15-99)

--
    Thank you all for voting!
    -DC
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Good to see a CIV2 person up there with the OT denizens.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Make that three civ people - I guess we were wrong to bemoan this list....
        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

I find it odd that Harlan was inducted seven years late.
          Follow the masses!
          30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

I think we should try for Yaroslav next

Comment

It's odd all right. As I've said all along, this is nothing but a popularity contest, dominated by the Off Topic folks, many of whom have DL's anyway. It's quite pointless.
              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                It's odd all right. As I've said all along, this is nothing but a popularity contest, dominated by the Off Topic folks, many of whom have DL's anyway. It's quite pointless.
                Word.

I have voted only on rare occasions.
                "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I find it odd that Harlan was inducted seven years late.
                  Considering how the hall is only five years old- this feat of a predated induction would have been quite amazing

techumseh
                  And yet, as fairline pointed out, the facts of an egalitarian contest are staring you in the face.

As for the people having DL's- exactly what relevance does that have to this contest? If you actually took the time to look up statistics on the people who vote, then you would find that there are maybe only four or five who have less than four hundred posts... Now that would make the majority of the alleged 'illegal-voters' some quite impressive DLs.

That being said, aren't all elections popularity contests- even presidential ones. But as the induction of Harlan demonstrates, even the absence of a person campaigning for himself can result in the election of a worthy member.
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                  X