Roman Civil Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman Civil Wars

The second version Roman Civil War, called Roman Civil Wars, is coming along nicely. Thanks to Fairline for the great new units, including Sextus Pompey, Brutus, Marc Antony and Octavian. The game's been extended to the time of the ascession of Octavian to the throne as Augustus (30 BCE).

I've run into two design problems that I'd appreciate some advice or comments on. The first is the unit mix for the four Roman factions. The main unit is the Legion, which currently has a 1 role (defense). This means that it gets built in large numbers as garrison units and that Roman cities are all very difficult to capture, making the game slow moving. Other defensive units like archers don't get built by the AI, and the attack units are scorpions and seige towers, as the legions stay as garrison units.

If I give the legions the 0 role (attack) they don't get built by the AI, because it chooses the seige weapons bacause of thier higher attack factors. If I give it the 2 role (air superiority) the AI uses it in a more balanced fashion, but fewer are built.

I'd really like to have the main unit for attack and defense be the legion, but have the AI build seige weapons to attack fortified cities, plus build the other units as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The second problem is the alliance between the Syrian Legions and the barbarians. It works great, and thanks to AGRICOLA for the hex edit. It allows the Syrian Legion units that start in Armenian and Judean (barbarian) cities to depart without attacking their host cities. It means they're available to attack the Parthians, their intended targets.

But I've found the alliance, forged in a hex editor, is unbreakable. No event can shake it. Even if Crassus uses spies in an unfriendly way, the alliance seems permanent. So the Syrian Legion player is never able to attack any barbarian city. And Syrian units can wander for the whole game around the barbarian fort units that cover the 'uncivilized' portion of the map. Does anyone have any ideas about what can be done? Thanks.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

It's late, and this certainly isn't well-examined, but...

Role 0 = Legion
    Role 1 = Legion (i.e. duplicate stats)
    Role 2 = Scorpion

Idea #2
    Set up a CityProduction -> CreateUnit scheme for AI civs. Whenever the AI builds what it wants, the event creates what you want.

Looks like you need to start at square one again in Armenia. Can you adapt the "make a civ out of thin air scheme" that you used for the Poles in RO? I can't remember where Leonardo is in RCW.
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

That might be the solution - a second legion for each Roman faction! I'll experiment with that, thanks!

The Polish appearance can't be duplicated here, as all civs are accounted for already. In Russian Civil War, there is a Polish settler stranded up in the Arctic Ocean to keep the Polish civ in play until the events kick in at the time of the armistice.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I may have an answer to the Syrian - Barb problem.

Previously, I had the Barbs allied to the Syrians and the Syrians allied to the Barbs. I have now made the Barbs allied to the Syrians but the Syrians only at peace with the Barbs (no alliance). This seems to work but I'm having a bugger of a time trying to test without the RCW rules and graphics files.

Anyway, in the attached save, the Syrians and Barbs have been edited as outlined above. The human Player is Roman. In the desert SW of Babylon are sets of 2 Barb archers? and 1 archer? from each of the other 7 civs.

If you end the Roman turn, I think that you will find that neither the Syrians nor the Barbs attack each other, even if both are controlled by the AI. All the other civs have an immediate go at the Barbs . . . . and vice versa. If the Syrians are put under human control and try to attack the Barbs they are first asked if they want to break the treaty. If the answer is "YES", they can attack.

Please test this and, if it is what you want, I can easily fix your latest save.

EDIT: typo
        Attached Files
        Last edited by AGRICOLA; December 5, 2005, 02:26.
        Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
        Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

AGGIE, you're the best! I'll try it tomorrow.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Great, but ummm... any chance of seeing Warlords of China?
            STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Yes.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Had a chance to test Agricola's fix?
                El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Working...
                X