Succession Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John-SJ
    If you would like to join in you can certainly add the patch. It doesn't change the game at all except to allow bigger maps, higher populations, and a larger treasury.

Sure you wouldn't like to join in?
    I've got three versions on my lap-top at the moment, so I'm not enthusiastic about adding a fourth. In any case, the game rules don't excite me. I'll watch for a bit. but I might join in later.

RJM at Sleeper's
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Hey - wait up guys - the NOLimits patch is ONLY needed to create gigamaps - once the beast is created it can be played in MGE for certain (and IIRC there is a NoLimits patch for 2.42 - but I may not remeber correctly) - of course if you go for high score the counters will roll over and screw things up just as normal - but the large map is still playable

Stu
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Well in that case, I will download the save just to have a look at it. I don't plan to make any moves at the moment though.

RJM at Sleeper's
        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

On gigamaps...

I see no save, as yet.

Gigamaps, AFAIK, can only be opened in MGE/FW/ToT. Not 2.42.

I play a lot on gigamaps. I like how the AI will expand (especially in ToT) on a giga... I see AI empires of 30-40 cities on a regular basis. That adds a bit of challenge, in the early game, especially.

The late game is another story. I seldom finish gigamap games because the micromanagement becomes really oppressive. The game stops being fun for me when I know I'm in position to win, but it'll take 2 dozen turns (moving 200+ units and managing 100+ cities each turn) to do it. On a map 250 squares wide, it can take 20 turns or more to reach an AI on the opposite side of the world (via Transport). Loading up an invasion fleet, and then spending 20 turns moving it, is less than appealing at times.

Come to think of it, I think SG [1] still has the 2nd Sailing Succession game... it's winnable, but a dreadful amount of work is involved. And it shouldn't be work.

All that said, I'm up for a gigamap game (the early part, anyway), I can even supply you with a map if you want.
          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

What about limiting our side to only a few cities? Might keep the micromanagement down some....

Comment

Re: On gigamaps...

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
              The late game is another story. I seldom finish gigamap games because the micromanagement becomes really oppressive. The game stops being fun for me when I know I'm in position to win, but it'll take 2 dozen turns (moving 200+ units and managing 100+ cities each turn) to do it. On a map 250 squares wide, it can take 20 turns or more to reach an AI on the opposite side of the world (via Transport). Loading up an invasion fleet, and then spending 20 turns moving it, is less than appealing at times.

Heh, I've still got a 250 x 40 (it was started before I got the no limits patch) game.. it's 1880, I'm almost through the tech tree but I've barely reached half way through the map.
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

So, is anyone still interested in this idea? Or in the idea of any Civ II succession game?

Comment

John-SJ,
                  There is already the Green (Peace?) succession game going on, but I would wager you would know that. Or are you looking for one that doesn't have crazy rules?

There has been a small resurgence in posters on the Civ2 board, so if you are interested in starting a new game, then now would be a good time.

StuporMan
                  Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons.

StuporMan's Supply and Demand Calculator
                  Supply and Demand Calculator 2.0.1 Beta Now loading savegames!

Comment

Working...
                  X