Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only person who liked Test of Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only person who liked Test of Time?

Based on the almost complete tendency for the WWW to ignore this game, I'm starting to understand that I might be the game's only fan. Why is that?

Even Apolyton's TofT section's links don't go anywhere. It's as if the game was some sort of bad dream that everyone has agreed to forget. Thing is, it's my favourite version. Did I suffer a brain anuerism and not notice?

Anyone care to enlighten me (and not just on the correct spelling of aneurism )

You aren't alone

The Civ2 scenario community (6 forums below this one) loves ToT for its superior scenario-creation features. If you like scenarios, there are some great ones out there for ToT.

As for me, I exclusively play ToT unless I'm involved in a succession game (which are usually in MGE). With the right graphics mod, the terrain and units are great to look at, and IMO, the AI expands faster and is a tiny bit less stupid than the usual MGE/2.42 AI. Diplomacy is definitely more challenging. Makes the games a little more interesting.

edit: aneurysm
    Last edited by Six Thousand Year Old Man; November 23, 2005, 22:43.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Cavalry
      Based on the almost complete tendency for the WWW to ignore this game, I'm starting to understand that I might be the game's only fan. Why is that?
      I'd say the main factor contributing to people's allergy is the game's graphics. Most (me included) think they're dark, drab and indistinct. That goes for the units, terrain and menus (all of which I've replaced on my version). However, when you strip the original graphics from the equation you're left with the most versatile engine out of all the versions of Civ2.

Price was also a factor when the game was first released; it carried the same price tag as a new game. Most people viewed it as Civ2: MGE with bells and whistles plus ugly graphics – which it is essentially – and felt the cost wasn't justified. These days the game is dirt cheap if you can find it, so price is no longer an issue.

When you combine these factors, you get bad reviews. Bad reviews kill games.

Originally posted by Dog Cavalry
      Even Apolyton's TofT section's links don't go anywhere.
      Check the links page on my site (my signature). You'll find a few there.

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
      The Civ2 scenario community (6 forums below this one) loves ToT for its superior scenario-creation features.
      But it wasn't always this way. Only a couple of years ago, the best way to become a pariah in that forum was to start talking ToT. Why the change over the last year or so? Beats the crap out of me. It's taken some of these guys more than 6 years to realise that ToT leaves MGE for dead in the scenario design stakes.
      Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish
        Only a couple of years ago, the best way to become a pariah in that forum was to start talking ToT. Why the change over the last year or so? Beats the crap out of me. It's taken some of these guys more than 6 years to realise that ToT leaves MGE for dead in the scenario design stakes.
        I don't think I was a pariah, exactly.
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Thanks, I am relieved to know the game has some commonly appreciated virtue. I'm surprised no one mentioned the extra dimension aspect. For me, playing the regular version (without the extra 3 worlds overlaid on the primary map ) is like watching Lord of the Rings on a black and white television set. There's just too much missing.

BTW, I didn't originally post this on the ToT forum, because that one looks just about dead. Now I'll look "six forums down" in the scenario area.

Thanks again.

Comment

I finally picked it up (since the price was a song.) -- Now on my list as something to try (maybe after SMAC or CIV 4)
            Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Working...
            X