French Revolution Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Revolution Scenario

OK, any ideas about a French Revolution scenario? I will be making it for Civ2 MGE, possibly a single-player or a multiplayer version, but perhaps just a single-player version. I am gonna use the standard Europe map that comes with the game.

OK, France starts with no gold and in anarchy, because of the Revolution. Year is 1795, and they are at war with everyone. Several austrian troops are on the border, and maybe we should create a special player for the emigrés, the nobles who fled France to escape from the Revolution.

Comment

They should have tonnes of cheap, useless troops to represent the "power of the people". Better units will come with research (and training), but at the beginning, they have no organisation for their army and they'll have to put their many committees into action to organise them (research).
      You should make cannons scarce at the beginning, but buildable (at moderate expense), and possibly have some techs geared towards appeasing the generals who sided with the royalty (decent military units created by event).
      Interesting idea, but I'd prefer a map that centres on France, not the whole of Europe. I've seen a couple of scenarios that do, so I'm sure you could examine them if you're not too keen on creating France from scratch. This should be a mostly defensive scenario, but with the possibility of capturing foreign cities to quash the threat from that direction.

Comment

Let me think...

Here is a screenshot of France (and a bit of England) in the Europe map:

Actually, there is a french settler in the spot Paris should be founded.

@duke 'o york, a map with only france and a little bit of Germany and England is a good idea. May be great, but a scenario covering also the Napoleonic Age would also be interesting. So, there must be an Europe for the french to conquer. In this case, taking some enemy capitals like Viena or London may trigger an imediate destruction of the enemy player. The goal of the french player would be first to put order in the country and then start conquering Europe until all rivals are destroyed. But this is not definite yet.
        And I liked the untrained troops idea. Maybe we should change the original musketeer unit to "militia", with some defense and an insignificant offensive power. They would be upgraded to the rifleman unit, this time named as "napoleonic infantry" or "musket infantry" (civ2'ers, that name and idea comes from a civ3 scenario ) . It would serve primarily for defense, of course.

As Napoleon gave a special emphasis to artillery, I will make cannons more powerful.

What do you think?

Comment

I'd prefer to see a much larger map of France.
          I think it would be very cool if the player started the game with some dip units called agitators, and a decentish amount of cash, and then had to choose which other French cities they should foment revolution in. Do you go for an industrial powerhouse like Lyon, a port like Bordeaux or Marseilles, or a city from which to beat back potential invaders (Lille, Metz, Strasbourg)?
          You'd have to make dips very expensive, so the player could not just churn them out and buy up the entire game with a properly-managed economy. The other civs' cities would have to be unbribeable at the start of the game too - having a French revolution in Brussels or Barcelona would be just dumb, but they're viable targets for invasion when the new Republique has consolidated its power!

Comment

Your ideas sound brilliant, Duke!

And to prevent the diplo units to become to prominent, why not make them unbuildable, provide some from the start and others only via events?

and BTW: excellent scen idea, Montesquieu!!
            Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
            Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
            POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
            LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Hi Montesquieu, really original idea!

I agree with Duk-o'-York, better a France-centred map, with part of Spain(N), England(S), Benelux, Germany (W) Italy (N-W), Switzerland, Denmark Could this be possible?
              I recall there is a similar map (not too larger) used by John Ellis for his famous scenario "Hundred Years War"...
              An alternative: the map called "charles.map", larger but always good. I think you can try it at Mercator page
              Have a good work!
              and... "Liberté - égalité - CIVILIZé"
              "Dilexi iustitiam, odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio" [PAPA GREGORIUS VII +1085] - ("He amado la justicia, he odiado la iniquidad, por eso muero en exilio") - ("I loved justice, I hated unfairness, that's why I die in exile") - (J'ai aimé la justice, j'ai détesté l'iniquité, c'est pourquoi je meurs en exil") - ("Ich liebte Gerechtigkeit und hasste Ungerechtigkeit, deshalb sterbe ich im Exil")

Comment

This is a stellar idea for a scen, Montesquieu! I especially think the possibility of expanding into the Napoleonic Era is one worth considering. If not, the map suggested above would work much better than the vanilla Civ 2 Europe map (even with a Napoleonic part, I'd suggest a Giga-Europe map). An idea is maybe three French civ's fighting for dominance: the 'pure' Republique loyalists (the playable civ, ideally), the Jacobins, and the Royalists, and thus four outside France (the Spanish, the British, the Austrians, and the Prussians, with minor nations and city-states in Western Germany and Northwestern Italy being barbs). Just an idea.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas! Well, not much time to post now, but I am still undecided about the map. Maybe I can make two separate scenarios.

But in case I choose a france centered map, where can I get a really good one? Thanks for the suggestions !

Comment

You can use an Europe Gigamap and have relatively spaced-out cities...
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

repetita iuvant ;-)

Originally posted by Montesquieu
                      Thanks for the ideas! Well, not much time to post now, but I am still undecided about the map. Maybe I can make two separate scenarios.

But in case I choose a france centered map, where can I get a really good one? Thanks for the suggestions !

Originally posted by Gagliaudo
                      I recall there is a similar map (not too larger) used by John Ellis for his famous scenario "Hundred Years War"...
                      An alternative: the map called "charles.map", larger but always good. I think you can try it at Mercator page
                      "Liberté - égalité - CIVILIZé"
                      "Dilexi iustitiam, odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio" [PAPA GREGORIUS VII +1085] - ("He amado la justicia, he odiado la iniquidad, por eso muero en exilio") - ("I loved justice, I hated unfairness, that's why I die in exile") - (J'ai aimé la justice, j'ai détesté l'iniquité, c'est pourquoi je meurs en exil") - ("Ich liebte Gerechtigkeit und hasste Ungerechtigkeit, deshalb sterbe ich im Exil")

Comment

Working...
                      X