Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

How can I be the barbarians in civ2 gold? I just want to be them for once. I know there's a way, I just don't know how. That would be fun. Thanks

I'm no expert, but I don't believe it is possible to play as the barbarians. You could of course rename one of the existing civs. You may get a better answer if you post your question in the scenario forum. If it is possible, it's the sort of trick they would use to add spice to a scenario.

RJM at Sleeper's
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

There's a trick to this, see this thread:

I have civ2 gold. How can I be the barbarians. I looked around the cheat menu and to no avail..... I bet I have to edit some of the files, huh? What will I need and how? I just want to be the barbarians... Can I be Atilla? I heard he's the actual barbarian leader. I would probably eventually...

I've not tried it, you have to go through Cheat Mode, and then you only control what is spawned until you can take a city and produce what you want.

Comment

I already got my answer on Civfanatics.. barbarians are crappy..If you want to play as them, alter the units so that they have normal stats..if you don't, you'll lose batle after battle after battle.....to a settler nonetheless lol. So if you do that then you can pretty much wreck havoc without diplomacy. Also with the tech stuff.. once you get a city, you'll learn something like bronze but it wont go through.. it keeps asking if you want to study the same thing you learned lol. barbarians have it hard ha

The cool part is if you own a city and stuff, new barbarian units spawn around the map.. they still suck tho. try a game at hordes if you want to use them, otherwise you'll get bored. The bad part is 2 things...barbarians can't advance on the tech which I can understand.. but artillery losing to a settler time and time again? c'mon lol

Comment

Note that Barbs are handicapped in combat when the Difficulty level is below King, and given some small advantages when above King level. What level did you try at?

Comment

OK, I tried a game - I started in Deity on the world map as the Zulus, and when a barb horse appeared, I emptied Zimbabwe and then did the Save-to Barb trick.

Barbs can build settlers, warriors, and barracks. They can road and irrigate. every 12 turns or so there is a possibility of getting a group of pirates, either 2 archers or 2 horses and a leader, a diplomat who can bribe AI troops and cities. Occasionally the AI will tip a hut yielding barb units. Barb units are all NONE units - they do not pay any maintainance shield fee (presumably their troops just pillage from the land...) nor is there any penalty for unhappiness in the Barbarian cities (how could anybody tell?).

Barbarians never get any results from tipping huts.

There seems to be a severe penalty on the attack and defence strength of the Barb units. (Possibly the same penalty as exists on Chieftan level.) Plus, if one attacks the AI capitol, one always loses if it is the only city for that civ.

Barbarians learn science, but immediately forget it. Barbarians seem unable to save any gold which they earn either from taxes or capturing cities.

So, it seems that the only way to make progress is through bribing. Unfortunately, Attila can raise money by only one means: building Barracks and selling them for 40g. That does work, and a modest war chest can be created in that manner.

At 300AD, Attila had about 15 cities, on all continents. Attila got a legion which became a vet and had a modest attack, and was also able to finally bribe one AI elephant which seemed to have a decent attack value. But it was not enough. I could not see being able to win this game. Plus, it was frustrating. I needed another tactical plan in order to continue.

Comment

LOL - thanks for the links on playing as barbarians... it'll add something "new" to playing Civ II!

Comment

I tried it but couldn't really move the units for more than one turn after popping up. Also, city production and tech research were always decided by the AI interfering with me. This is 2.78.

Comment

Working...
                X