Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 2 Music

Hello,

Being new to PC music, I thought I'd try downloading music from my Civ 2 disc onto my PC (which worked).

The question I have now is the legality of it. Is it legal to do this? Who now owns the rights to Civ 2?

Thanks!

I think it's always legal to make copies of any music or even movies if it's only for your own private use. You're just not allowed to give things away or even sell them (showing movies to friends or family is allowed, but only if not commercial). As far as Civ2 stuff is concerned, it's game music, so there's no big entertainment company behind it, methinks. Let alone the fact that these people would never persecute you for sharing their music. They just don't want you to distribute their game (unless you sell your own legal copy).

I've done that myself BTW, saved the FW CDmusic on my machine. I also ripped the music off the wonders.

I do hope it's legal now

Comment

Technically Civ2 is not (yet) abandonware - but as Ecthy says there is no problem with non-commercial use that I am aware of

Stu
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Mind you, they must have paid some royalties for some of the wonder music at least. The in-game lute stuff on the other hand - why would anyone want that?

Comment

Thanks for the input. There are four particular songs that I and my little brother like and he asked me to copy them to a cd. He likes to make his own music and, consequently, wants to analyze some of these songs. I certaintly hope it's okay to copy in this circumstance but, like someone alluded to, the (non-existant?) MicroProse Corp. is probably more interested in selling software than selling music.

The in-game lute stuff on the other hand - why would anyone want that?
          You hold your tongue, mister.

Comment

Chronus, which are those special songs ?

Comment

Hi Ecthy,

The four are:

The Mongol Horde
              Apocolypse
              Primeval World
              World of Jules Verne

My little brother likes Primeval World in particular because of the low bass drums and some of the "jungle flute" instruments (my terminology). He has a pretty souped up stereo system in his room (well, it's bigger than my stereo) called "Devestator" which gives off a great rumble when those drums hit.

I sure hope the neighbors don't mind!

Comment

Does anyone know what the name of the music is for Wonder 14? Leonardo's Workshop? It's some jazz arrangement, would love to find out what it is.

Comment

Check this post and the thread it belongs to:

Other posts reference a "Wonder Movies Tunes" thread that does not seem to be correctly linked; I may still have that in older bookmarks, I'll fish around.

Comment

Looks like it got moved to archives:

Comment

Working...
                    X