Strange discovery about terrain graphics in Civ 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange discovery about terrain graphics in Civ 2

I just noticed that the terrain graphics in Civ 2 are not the same as the terrain graphics in Terrain.gif. The terrain graphics ingame are sort of worse. It's like they were worsened in the manner of a high compression jpeg. Did anyone else notice this?

I did this to discover this issue. I started up gimp and got a screenshot of civ 2. Then I cut out a piece of terrain.gif and I overlayed it onto my screenshot. I cut out the plains and overlayed it onto the plains in the screenshot. Well, to my surprise, the plains are NOT the same as the plains in the game.

Could it be that gimp made a bad screenshot? No, because I compared the gimp screenshot side by side with the Civ 2 game window. They're identical, to the pixel.

The whole reason I was doing all of this was to examine how the Civ 2 game performed dithering from two differing terrain squares.
    I no longer use this account.

I realized what it is now. It's the zoom level. Sort of.

At maximum zoom, the terrain graphics look the same as it does in the terrain1.gif file. However, the square is 2x as large at maximum zoom as in terrain1.gif. So 1 pixel in plains is actually represented as 4 pixels in maximum zoom.

It just seems strange that Civ 2 would actually perform some kind of modification to a square when it's displayed at the same size as the square in terrain1.gif.
    I no longer use this account.

Comment

It's fun to see that we are still discovering things about Civ2 even now...

Stu
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Default display size is two steps larger than the 1:1 ratio. Shift-z will zoom out two levels to 1:1. Ctrl-z zooms in max to 2:1 (8 steps up from 1:1).
        Attached Files
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

that's one shyte position there, full of plains

Comment

rofl @ ecthy

Comment

Working...
            X