• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Counts - - - Some can be restored

The following quotes are from

Originally posted by MarkG 12-09-05
    Our apologies, but we wont be able to fix post counts

Originally posted by AGRICOLA 13-09-05

I think that you may be a bit too pessimistic . . . . . what is impossible to you may not be impossible to some of the affected members who want to restore their post counts and think it worthwhile to invest a bit of time.

Let's try thinking outside the box and see what is required.

In any of my posts, if I click on PROFILE, I apparently have 261 posts. If, instead, I click on SEARCH, I get a list of 569 of my posts. Clearly, I lost most of my posts in March when the system got screwed up and, evidently, you are unable change 261 to 569.

From a somewhat cursory look there appear to be a number of individuals who have joined since '02 who also have two valid post counts. Unfortunately, for many members who joined earlier, the SEARCH count is smaller than the PROFILE number and, consequently of no help. However, IIRC, Mercator has post count numbers for some of these individuals as of early '05.

I have a possible solution that will not involve months and months of work on your part.

1. I assume that Mercator, as moderator of the SL forum, can lock threads and delete posts or arrange to have it done as needed.
    2. Let those who were affected by the accidental deletion start their own threads in the SL forum and post as many spam posts as needed to bring their totals up to the number listed under SEARCH. Doing this should require Mercator's prior approval.
    3. Have Mercator lock the threads after the spamming.
    4. Of course, this will mess up up the SEARCH totals, but that is no great loss . . . . many of them are already meaningless.

Originally posted by MarkG 14-09-05
    no, we are definately not going have people post spam to increase their post count.

however, i'm willing to by hand correct the post counts of people who have lost their avatar rights (e.g. went below 500 posts). interested people can post here

If your situation fits MarkG's criterion, go for it!

Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

There go my hopes of ever regaining my emperor-hood
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Frankly, I couldn't give a flying f if I had 0 or 999999 posts. When did these things become important? More important than intelectual civ2 conversations?
      Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

When did these things become important?
        i'm puzlled as well. out of all people on our forums i'd never expect this behaviour from the SL people
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

as long as i can change my avatar, it's all good for me.
          now if you'll excuse me, i am off to tempt fate,
          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

For me it was only an issue of getting my own avatar, nothing more or nothing less. Its true I don't need a custom avatar, it would just be something thats nice to have.

I'm affraid I don't understand Mark how some people wanting custom avatars is "behavior" you would never have expected from the SL crowd. Just what kind of "behavior" are we exhibiting?
            Last edited by Sarsstock; September 15, 2005, 12:49.

Comment

I'm affraid I don't understand Mark how some people wanting custom avatars is "behavior" you would never have expected from the SL crowd. Just what kind of "behavior" are we exhibiting?
              as you can see on the first post, i perfectly understand the need to be able to have a custom avatar

i was referring to people with over post-deletion 500 posts who wanted their post counts back....

Comment

where can i get my avatar rights back from,
                i don't want all my posts back, i just want to be able to change my avatar,
                I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Can I give some of my post count away? So long as I am at the minimum for "King" +1, I'm okay....
                  "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                  "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

If post counts and ranks have no significance, why were they set up in the first place and why are they still maintained? Why have there been SL posts to the effect that someone has or is about to become a XXXXX and subsequent congratulations from others?

They are NOT insignificant because they provide some recognition of the contributions individuals have made to make the Apolyton website in general and the SL forum in particular what they are.

It seems to me that, considering that there have been repeated assurances of post count restoration and not just limited post count restoration, something should be done for the relatively small number of SL members whose post counts were reduced, even if they still have thousands of posts. Mercator has posted the numbers needed for a partial fix.
                    Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

It's completely unfair. I've lost something like 400 posts and still haven't recovered My hopes of emperorship vanished. I and others should get a licence to spam.
                      Also, my faith in Apolyton perished. Posting here does not give me as much pleasure as it used to.
                      My life can never be the same.
                      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                      Middle East!

Comment

You are making me choke with tears here!

I lost my emperor status too - But I don't sweat it.
                        At least we have made a healthy comeback from what
                        was nothing in reality...Never say die!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                        http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hey, You're still active here, and You wll recover quickly. My civ projects are nearly dead, and I'm gonna spend a year in Syria with limited access to the net. I'm not gonna become emperor until 2007
                          I was extremly angry at unfair 10% pcr given to me once. What can I say about 20% pcr without any reason?

Ah, these are just silly posts, I know. But I thought that the title of emperor would get me some respect here, some friendship, some love that I need so badly.
                          Now I'm stuck in the kingly status, and I will remain poor, little, unknown, overlooked Heresson for ever

On the other hand, it seems I'll have much more time in Syria, which means I'll finish those civ projects.
                          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                          Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by AGRICOLA
                            If post counts and ranks have no significance, why were they set up in the first place and why are they still maintained?
                            i didnt say they are insignificant. i just said they are not THAT significant to get all emotional about it

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                              When did these things become important?
                              i'm puzlled as well. out of all people on our forums i'd never expect this behaviour from the SL people
                              Why?

Are we models of maturity and level-headedness then?
                              http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Working...
                              X