where is the limit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where is the limit?

wow, incredible how many people still connected with this game. i loved to play this game some years ago.
    one of my favorite things to do is finding the limits of everything
    some limits of civ 2 are:
    not more than 30.000 goldpieces
    not more than 400 armys
    not more than 320.000.000 inhabitants
    after 255 futuretechnologies it starts again with 0

my personal hights are:
    highest science in one town 708
    highest luxus in one town 402
    highest tax in one town 469
    highest amount of shields in one town 187
    highest outcome of a tradeline 610 (oil)
    biggest city 126
    46 advances in one round (this one seems to be a bug)
    i think i had 3 or 4 "legal" advances

on a self created map i managed to get
    first future technologie in 2880 b.c.
    all wonders finished 2900 b.c.
    the great in 2980 b.c.
    and the throne finished in 3180 b.c.
    (i think its possible to get everything before 3000 b.c.)

is anybody similar crazy to search for limits?

I'm impressed. Perplexed, but impressed.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Re: where is the limit?

Ummm, ok.

Originally posted by way
      wow, incredible how many people still connected with this game. i loved to play this game some years ago.
      one of my favorite things to do is finding the limits of everything
      some limits of civ 2 are:
      not more than 30.000 goldpieces
      not more than 400 armys
      not more than 320.000.000 inhabitants
      after 255 futuretechnologies it starts again with 0
      The game has subsequently been modded (thank you, Julius B) to allow more than 320 MM people and 30 M gold. AFAIK one could always have more than 400 units, I think the limit was about 2 M.

The really annoying hardlimits are the unit limit, the limit on cities (255 total) and the limit on nations (7+barbs). Julius Brenzaida's patch should still be available on this site - it allows bigger maps, more than 30,000 gold, etc.

my personal hights are:
      highest science in one town 708
      highest luxus in one town 402
      highest tax in one town 469
      highest amount of shields in one town 187
      highest outcome of a tradeline 610 (oil)
      biggest city 126
      46 advances in one round (this one seems to be a bug)
      i think i had 3 or 4 "legal" advances
      I've had SSC's with well over 1000 science a few times. Tax and luxuries, I never bothered checking.

Depending on map size you can get ridiculous trade bonuses... on giga-maps with standard Civ2MGE, I've had bonuses in the 3M range.

I gather the largest possible city size is 127, using food caravans/freights.

on a self created map i managed to get
      first future technologie in 2880 b.c.
      all wonders finished 2900 b.c.
      the great in 2980 b.c.
      and the throne finished in 3180 b.c.
      (i think its possible to get everything before 3000 b.c.)

is anybody similar crazy to search for limits?
      Lets see some saves! Assuming these were achieved on Deity level, of course
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Re: Re: where is the limit?

The game has subsequently been modded (thank you, Julius B) to allow more than 320 MM people and 30 M gold.
        lol, i didnt know there are mods
        The really annoying hardlimits are the unit limit, the limit on cities (255 total) and the limit on nations (7+barbs).
        you are right
        I've had SSC's with well over 1000 science a few times. Tax and luxuries, I never bothered checking.

Depending on map size you can get ridiculous trade bonuses... on giga-maps with standard Civ2MGE, I've had bonuses in the 3M range.

I gather the largest possible city size is 127, using food caravans/freights.
        seems i have to improve on these figures

Lets see some saves! Assuming these were achieved on Deity level, of course
        sorry, no deity level time passes by too fast on this level . there´s a little correction: people will remember me as "the wise" instead of "the great" in 2980 b.c.. i used to play the german version and highest level is "der prächtige" which equals "the wise" in english.
        i have a save from every yearstep, so i can proof there was no cheating

Comment

here are the saves:

Comment

Re: Re: where is the limit?

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
            The game has subsequently been modded (thank you, Julius B) to allow more than 320 MM people and 30 M gold. AFAIK one could always have more than 400 units, I think the limit was about 2 M.

Heh, there's a problem with that patch... The number for gold was changed from a signed to an unsigned integer, but the number for accumulated science was not. It is possible, if you deliver enough trade in one turn and with high enough profits (I came upon this in a scen.), to make your science overflow and go to minus a lot. (while you're still good money-wise)
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Re: Re: Re: where is the limit?

Originally posted by N35t0r

Heh, there's a problem with that patch... The number for gold was changed from a signed to an unsigned integer, but the number for accumulated science was not. It is possible, if you deliver enough trade in one turn and with high enough profits (I came upon this in a scen.), to make your science overflow and go to minus a lot. (while you're still good money-wise)
              Strange, I never had that happen, and I do trade a lot. I was under the impression that one could never gain more than 1 new science (less one beaker) via trade alone. Perhaps I avoided this problem because I stop deliveries after I've filled the science bar.
              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Yeah, that's the thing. Maximum you can get from one delivery is 2/3 of the bar. If the payoff (taking the tech cost cap) is high enough (and you have enough trade units) delivering them all will result in the beakers accumulated to overflow into the negative. It has to be done in one turn and with trade beakers alone, as a city beaker will immediately trigger tech advance and reset it to zero (so you can always get at most one tech from trade).

I think I still have the save in which it happened (It's in Eivind's BK 1936 scenario)
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                X