Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Red Storm Cometh!

Introducing my first scenario!

RED STORM: THE SOVIET INVASION OF WESTERN EUROPE.

Based lightly on Tom Clancy's Best Selling Book, Red Storm Rising!

The year is 1985. A bomb explodes near the chambers of the Politburo in Moscow! Little does the world know that it was planted by KGB men to help sway the Soviet people to war against the West. With the destruction of one of their key oil fields in western Siberia, the Soviets must obtain oil. Therefore, they attack the NATO alliance, hoping to splinter it by planting the bombing of the Politburo (which killed some children from Pskov) on a "West German" spy. The Soviet forces are conveniently arrayed along the West/East Germany border, ready to surge forward. Behind NATO lines, Spetznaz force carry out attacks on key NATO installations, and up north, on Iceland, Spetznaz forces have already invaded to take the airfield from US forces. The USS Nimitz CVBG is heading to Iceland as the scenario opens, with an Amphibious Ready Group of Marines in tow.

The Soviets main objective is the Middle East, and they hope that with the splintering of NATO, they can force US and European countries from supporting the Muslim forces.

Only time will tell.

Anyway, there it is. I hope it's fun, and I'm about 65% done. Should be done within the next two weeks if everything goes according to plan.

PS - how do I do a screenshot of the game?

Re: The Red Storm Cometh!

Excellent news!

From what I read, the game starts just too late to play around with the Julius Fucik, correct??

Now just a question: will it be playable from both sides??

Originally posted by Art of War
    Anyway, there it is. I hope it's fun, and I'm about 65% done. Should be done within the next two weeks if everything goes according to plan.

PS - how do I do a screenshot of the game?
    To do a screenshot, just make a Printscreen, and then save the shot in Paint or another graphical program; you can then attach it to a post (and yes, we are eager to see it, so hurry with the printscreen!)

And last: I hope you don't mind my telling so, but as it's your first scen, you might not be aware of the importane of thorough playtesting

So here is my (unasked for) advice: Once you think your scenario is ready for release, dont do it immediately; find first a few playtesters (easy, you'll just have to ask on this thread, this "community" is full of helpful volunteers) and send them your "baby" to try it; I am sure they'll find a few things you overlooked (and they usually do, even with the scenarii from veterans such as Curtsibling) and give you some feedback that will allow you to release a "finished" product (I mean "masterwork" ).
    Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
    Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
    POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
    LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Sounds fine, any downloads ready yet?

Comment

I remember FiGu not to long ago planned to release a scenario based on the same story, he even comisioned me to make a title screen for it.

I'm not sure what stage of completion he reached, and in any case I do believe his project is abandoned. I'm curious to see your take on the Clancy scenario.

He told me how the story ends but I'll be kind and not spoil the surprise for the poly residents.

Comment

Interesting project. Clancy's book was a bit farfetched in places but a hell of good read just the same.

Making the scen difficult enough yet playable as either side are probably mutually exclusive goals. Stick with the book and make NATO the playable protagonist.
          Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
          Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

since it's a relatively short scenario (a few months at most), i've shut down the "science research" side of the game (for now anyway). I want to focus on the righteous battles between the People's Army and those evil capitalists! ( ). Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy it, and I'm going to try to have some screenshots up. Thanks to all the unit makers, btw.

As for keeping it close to Clancy's book...it pretty much ends at insipiration, although I did use the assault of Iceland from the book.

Not only that, but I've got the Iraqis and Iranians in the game too, with a war going on between them. If the Russians take Paris, they'll begin to assault the Middle East to take the oil fields.

I also used some ideas from the Red Front scenario and made a special "oil fields" terrain type that boosts trade and shield production.

Comment

and for some reason, my printscreen doesn't seem to work.

Comment

Are you in any need of unit shields? If so I'd be happy to provide you with a whole slate of shields such as the ones attatched below. If they're not needed then no worries.

Also, when your trying to make a screenshot are you pressing "Alt" and "PrintScrn" at the same time? If not that might be the problem.
                Attached Files

Comment

and for some reason, my printscreen doesn't seem to work.
                  1. Have the picture you want on the screen.
                  2. Hit the PRINT SCREEN/SYSRQ button, not SHIFT and PRINT SCREEN/SYSRQ. You are actually using SysRq but Print Screen is easier to remember.
                  3. Open MS Paint or equivalent.
                  4. New File
                  5. Paste
                  6. Trim and make any other alterations.
                  7. Save as a .gif, .png or .bmp file.
                  8. Attach the file to your post. .gif and .png files will show up in your post. .bmp files will become attachments which have to be downloaded.
                  9. There is a difference in the quality of .gif and .png pictures but I can't remember which is better. Take a look at both.

Many thanks to the good SL members who sorted me out on this issue not all that long ago.
                  Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                  Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Re: Re: The Red Storm Cometh!

Originally posted by Cyrion
                    Excellent news!

From what I read, the game starts just too late to play around with the Julius Fucik, correct??
                    not neccessarily. The Nimitz was heading towards Iceland while the Fucik was still out at sea. The Nimitz group was just too far out to do anything for at least a few days. The day after Iceland was taken, Soviet bombers attacked the nimitz group and the result of that battle made any plan to assault iceland with the Nimitz group a moot point.

Comment

AGRICOLA, thanks, that worked like a charm!

I present to you:
                      Spetznaz attacks that start the war:
                      Attached Files

Comment

A picture of Germany ...

note: this is recent. not everything is fully developed yet, ie, Munich, Lyon, Bratislava, etc not being fully sized yet.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nations:

US
                          NATO
                          USSR
                          Warsaw Pact
                          Neutral
                          Iraq
                          Iran

Comment

Looks good so far - but where is Austria? I mean ... you could always include Vienna, its capital (which, by chance, is also the place I live)

Btw, any information on the map?

Comment

Originally posted by jim panse
                              Looks good so far - but where is Austria? I mean ... you could always include Vienna, its capital (which, by chance, is also the place I live)

Btw, any information on the map?
                              i was having trouble fitting cities in. i'm not fully done w/ cities yet. i work at an odd pace....

what kind of info are you looking for on the map?

one more:

US convoys preparing for the journey to Europe...through Red infested seas.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X