Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I knew the AI took liberties, but ...

Okay, take a look at the screenshot. Legend:
    • Blue corduroy is ocean or uncharted terrain.
    • Gold is land shown from the German point of view.
    • Ships are airbases.
    • Beige diamonds are impassable terrain units (air, mf=0), belonging to a civ allied to the Germans (sorry about the mess of unit keys, but this is an alpha test ).
    • The German plane is a air missile unit, not a paratrooper or fighter.
    • The red diamond is an unspotted square containing an enemy city.

On the AI's turn, the plane passes through the impassable terrain units to attack the undiscovered enemy city. That's a new one for me! I knew the AI took some liberties with cruise missiles, but...

Take away the missile flag, and the German plane stays on the airbases.
    Attached Files
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Try it with another ring of impassable terrain. The AI might be able to move once out of the airbase and then once again to get to passable terrain. The properties of the airbase probably have soemthing to do with it.

Comment

Air units do not respect impassible terrain. And 'unexplored' only applies to the human player. Nothing new there.

(edit) Impassible UNITS. That is news.
      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Oops! I'm not so clear on the nomenclature. The civ name is 'Impassable'. The unit is called 'Terrain'. Looks like the outline of a square, but it's a unit.

Impassible UNITS. That is news.
        Certainly was news to me!

My solution is to use a nonmissile fighter unit in this position.

The whole idea is to have a fighter more or less permanently in position to intercept airport-airport transfers. It's a means to simulate U-Boat interdiction of sea-lanes (airport = port of transit). Ideally, the human should never see the air unit. Instead, @ENEMYFIGHTERS & @SHOTDOWN show the U-Boat icon, but it's the fighter that actually does the dirty deed.

Interestingly, the missile fighter always attacks the red diamond square from the NE. From what angle do paras capture a city?

Can't really afford to have a cordon two units thick in this case.

And 'unexplored' only applies to the human player.
        I just keep learning new things with this game.
        El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
          Impassible UNITS. That is news.
          You may want to check out Harry Tuttle's highly original Gold Gulch. Impassable units (mountains), wandering gold nuggets, rustlers who can try to make a living by rustling cattle, snakes, bears, shady characters galore not to mention scalp hungry Indians. There are also some very active ladies of the night.

Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
          Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Misunderstanding, AGRICOLA. Impassible units have around since Harlan's Mongols. It's the AI passing units through other units that is surprising.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I remember encountering this in the Microprose WW79 scenario - I established a shield of units between London and Paris to avoid getting them nuked, only to be extremely surprised when a nuke popped up in the English channel!
              STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by our_man
                I remember encountering this in the Microprose WW79 scenario - I established a shield of units between London and Paris to avoid getting them nuked, only to be extremely surprised when a nuke popped up in the English channel!
                nukes do not have to travel to attack. As long as any target city is within range of any city (or subs?) belong to the attacker irrespective of where the nuke is, the AI can do a nuclear strike.
                This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

Maybe this applies for all air missile units?
                  Visit First Cultural Industries
                  There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                  Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I can confirm that nukes do not have to be physically present at a launch site to strike. For example, if the AI civ has a submarine within 16 squares of it's target city, and the actual nuke is in another city farther away, the AI will use it.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

In my experience AI missile units will teleport to location if it's in range, this is true for cruise missilies as well as nukes.
                      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

I can't think of how right now, but that could probably be taken advantage of in various ways. Does it check to see if the attack is executable before teleporting? I.e., is the AI dumb-smart enough to get through blockades with zero-attack missiles, only to realize, "crap, maybe not"? That doesn't sound likely, but you never know with that wacky civ2 AI.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

My experience agrees with Henrik. The AI can throw missles and nukes anywhere. I don't think range is an issue. It simply chooses a target and the attack occurs.
                          Lost in America.
                          "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                          "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                          "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Given the AI's uncanny ability to shoot missiles at only the most valuable targets, no matter where they are,* it does have a lot to teach the US military

Incidently, making the things the AI is shooting missiles at cheaper than the missiles could be another solution to this problem. I imagine that the AI wouldn't do anything with really expensive missiles.

* I'm still smarting over the time in 1997 when the AI nuked my massive counter-attack force in Munich in the Microprose WW3 scenario.
                            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I'd read somewhere that the AI only uses cruise missiles on the highest costing sea units in the game. I can't remember *where* the link was, but the reporter found that if they changed the unit cost of either the battleship or carrier, the AI wouldn't send missiles against it. Could you manipulate this to fulfill your needs?
                              My Cepha scenario
                              The Solar Revolution
                              Soon-to-be-updated collection of Civ2 artists' signatures. If you know one that's not listed, feel free to drop me a PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X