BATTLEFIELD GETTYSBURG - Preview & Creation Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BATTLEFIELD GETTYSBURG - Preview & Creation Discussion Thread

Having brought two more scenarios to (BETA) testing status I now embarked on the late 19th century American Civil War, especially the Battle of Gettysburg.

To quote Wikipedia:

The Battle of Gettysburg (July 1–3, 1863), fought in and around the town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, as part of the Gettysburg Campaign, was the largest battle ever conducted in North America, and is generally considered to be the turning point of the American Civil War.
    Read the full Wikipedia article of the Battle of Gettysburg here!

What has been done so far?

I embarked on the map right at the beginning, attached to this post is the map I have done so far. Please note the following general changes:

* Ocean squares are rivers;
    * Classical river graphics mark the main roads;
    * Tundra squares mark important locations as the Lutheran Seminary or the entrance to the cemetery;
    * Plains mark the high grounds;

Furthermore, I started compiling the units for this scenario, a task which would have been rather difficult would Chris/sarsstock not have contributed these fabolous unit graphics!
    Attached Files

This is the units file so far - I still need to fill lots of slots

Edit: See below
    Last edited by jim panse; May 17, 2005, 09:00.

Comment

This now is the reference picture I used for creating the map of the battlefields.
      Attached Files

Comment

Units I still lack ... (preferably fairline/sarsstock style)

Rebel Units:

South Carolina Infantry
        Alabama Infantry
        North Carolina Infantry
        Virginia Cavalry
        North Carolina Cavalry
        South Carolina Cavalry
        Mississippi Cavalry
        Virginia Mounted Cavalry
        Mississippi Legion
        Maryland Infantry

Yankee Units:

Michigan Infantry
        Pennsylvania Infantry
        Massachusetts Infantry
        Maine Infantry
        Vermont Infantry
        Connecticut Infantry
        Delaware Infantry
        Union Sharpshooters
        New Jersey Infantry
        Ohio Infantry
        Illinois Infantry
        Illinois Cavalry
        Indiana Cavalry
        New York Cavalry
        Pennsylvania Cavalry
        West Virginia Cavalry
        Maine Cavalry
        Vermont Cavalry
        Michigan Cavalry

Shared units (artillery):

3-inch Ordnance Rifle
        10-pdr Parrot
        20-pdr Parrot

12-pdr Howitzer
        24-pdr Howitzer

Attached is a modded Union trooper (kneeling)
        Attached Files

Comment

And some of the landmarks in and around Gettysburg (from left to right):

* Lutheran Seminary upon Seminary Ridge;
          * Pennsylvania Hall & College buildings;
          * Entrance to the cemetery upon Cemetery Ridge;
          Attached Files

Comment

This should be interesting. I will play this one when you are done.
            I am curios as to the scale of the map, what is one tile equal to in yards?
            Will you simulate the different weapons and how will you do that? I thought about doing something like this, are you including artillery?

BTW - my great, great grandad fought under Lee.
            You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
            We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Comment

Comrade, I will have various artillery units, each is to resemble a battery.

Down there is what I´ve got so far ...

Btw, the map I plan to use is attached above
              Attached Files

Comment

My god man! I just logged onto poly just now and WHAM! I'm hit with this amazing thread right off the bat! How long have you been planning this project? I'm sure I can try to help by taking a crack at those other units once I'm done with your title for the new Highway to Hell. Also, while I'm at it I think I'll redo one or two of the units you put into the unit graphic, since I made those up I've actually learned quite a bit about unit design and I'm sure I can come up with something a little better for many.

In any case, all those units were actually at Gettysburg Steph? Just out of curiosity did you ever see the movie "Gettysburg" with Martin Sheen playing General Lee? Or for that matter, did you or anybody on this forum ever play the game "Gettysburg" by our founding father Sid Meier?
                Last edited by Sarsstock; May 17, 2005, 10:42.

Comment

Speaking of General Lee, will you be using a special unit's for General's such as Lee, Longstreet, Stuart, Meade and Buford. I know your usually against using "Chracter" units in gameplay but since this game will be played on a small regimental level do you think they'd be apropriate in this case?

Comment

Chris, to be honest, I was watching "Gettyburg" on Saturday night - which was some kind of inspiration

If you could contribute one or another unit - I´d be more than delighted to include them Btw, in my first post there is a link to the Wikipedia article about that battle, somewhere there is also another couple of links leading you to the Rebel & Yankee orders of battle

And one last note, yes, I once played that game by Founding Father Sid Meier - and I recently ordered the game at Amazon to get more information on the battle - and to have a jolly old time kicking them damnyankees asses around (I did, by no means, want to insult any of my fellow American friends by this statement)

Comment

Oh I'm sure none of our yankee friends out there took offence. With us avid Civ II gamers its tradition to try to reverse the course of history through changing the outcome of historical battles and campaigns.

In any case Steph, unless Gareth wants to take on this task I'd be more than happy to take this job up myself so look for me to contribute more than one or two units .

Comment

Chris, they´re all yours - you must have noticed there´re many units you edited & modded!

Comment

Here's an example of a minor improvment on one of the older units I made, the 14th New York. Here his trousers have more definition added that give them a more three dimensional look.

As for the other units you requested my friend, they will be first on my to do list once I finish the new title for Highway to Hell, which will be either today or tommorow.
                          Attached Files

Comment

*drowls*

Need I say more?

Oh yeah, I loved Sid Meier's Gettysburg. It was one of my favourite games back then.
                            "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                            It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Thanks a lot for that trooper, Chris!

Attached is a pic of the 10th South Carolina Infantry. This enough as reference source?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X