Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I get the latest version of Red Front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get the latest version of Red Front?

I forget which one I have, but it was released in 2000.

I'm tired of my fortifications being 'purchased'.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Spanish Civ site has both RF1.4 & Colwyn's v1.5. AFAIK later versions didn't eliminate bribery of your units, but replaced the message with more suitable text e.g. treacherous anti-communists have betrayed your people.
    STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

I see you've moved...

I get that message- I guess I'll just up the cost of the units.

I have v. 1.4.
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

If you intend to play RF 1.5, I would strongly recommend restoring the number of Soviet engineers and their initial placement to that of RF 1.4.

The concept of the Soviets founding new cities in the depths of the Siberian forest is a red herring that is neither historically correct nor does it produce worthwhile results in RF 1.5. Building industries around existing cities is much more productive.

I found the scen to be a barnburner in every other respect. Bribing of units was never a problem.

Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
        Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

The concept of terraforming marshland into oil fields with rivers, or sending your partisan units up to Sweden to take out their fortifications isn't too accurate either.

Comment

The concept of terraforming marshland into oil fields with rivers . . . . . . . . . isn't too accurate either.

That was my opinion also, until I saw a CIA copy of a top secret research report by Soviet oil geologists. Apparently, Comrade Stalin's revolutionary theories led to the discovery that oil can be formed from riverine as well marine organisms. I understand that Leningrad and other Soviet cities have benefited greatly from the discovery and development of nearby oilfields.

Comment

Originally posted by AGRICOLA

That was my opinion also, until I saw a CIA copy of a top secret research report by Soviet oil geologists. Apparently, Comrade Stalin's revolutionary theories led to the discovery that oil can be formed from riverine as well marine organisms. I understand that Leningrad and other Soviet cities have benefited greatly from the discovery and development of nearby oilfields.

Oh, really? I'll have to read that report.

Comment

Here's the Executive Summary. Poly can't handle the Cyrillic alphabet used in the rest of the report.

Iz-za bol'shogo ob'ema informacii, Vam predlagayutsya raznye varianty navigacii. Razdely, gde otobrazhayutsya gerby pivzavodov, vyzyvayutsya nazhatiem na knopki-monety (raspolozhennye obychno vnizu stranicy, a na etoi stranice v levoi chasti tablicy), bez otobrazheniya gerbov (bolee bystraya zagruzka) v stroke menyu raspolozhennoi vverhu stranicy (na etoi stranice - tekstovye ssylki v pravoi chasti tablicy).

Mozhno srazu vybrat' interesuyushii Vas pivzavod iz privedennoi nizhe formy. Sortirovka proizvedena v sleduyushem poryadke "Strana-Gorod-Nazvanie pivzavoda". Vyberite, i nazhmite knopku "Vpered!".

1. Esli dushoyu ranen
                2. Esli vokrug beda
                3. Ty ved' prid¸sh' ne v banyu
                4. A ty ved' prid¸sh' syuda
                5. Zdes' ty vzdohn¸sh' schastlivo
                6. Kryaknesh' i skazhesh' da
                7. Gubit lyudei ne pivo

Comment

Theben et al.

What is that sending partisans to Sweden bit all about? Also, where IS the Spanish Civ2 site?

Comment

found it

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion What is that sending partisans to Sweden bit all about?
                      Probably a reference to Red Front 1.4 where many Swedish cities have fortress units in them and Partisans are the best unit for attacking them. In RF 1.5, the Partisans have been derated so they are not nearly as powerful.

Capturing Swedish cities is the easiest way to stage an amphib attack on NW Germany.

Comment

I understand. I played one semi-complete game of RedFront and got beaten the hell out of me. Playing version 1.4, I had literally no hance against panzer hordes, despite acting ahistorically by replacing fortified positions and all.

Comment

I completely agree with your comments about the horrors of RF 1.4 when played for the first time. However, a bit of somewhat unorthodox tactics and strategy can make the scen quite a bit easier.

You may want to check the following thread for some ideas.

I should add that, at the time, I completely failed to appreciate the usefulness of minefields as a means of stopping the German onslaught.

Comment

Working...
                          X