X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fairline

ahem
    Sorry.

I just think things have gotten out of hand. Some units have 3 or more sigs on them, and you don't really know who contributed what. Moreover, who gives a s**t?

I agree with you that there have been instances in which someone changes a few pixels to a unit and then added their signature. Conversely, someone once modified one of my units beyond recognition and kept my sig on it. I don't want my name on anything that's not entirely my creation, but maybe that's just me.

I like the suggestion of a generic marker for units that have been SLIGHTLY modified. Major modification means a brand new unit IMHO, and the ONLY sig should be the person who did the major mod.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Originally posted by cousarmy0001
      i think i've asked this before, but is there a Corsair done by Fairline, or in the Fairline style?
      TOT:
      Attached Files
      Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

• mge
        Attached Files
        Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

• Speaking as a public servant, I think that we need to develop comprehensive guidelines governing signature use in Civ2 units. Does anybody want to join me on this? If so, we can form a Working Group or even a Task Force!

Alternately, people could just only add their sig when they heavily modify a unit and remove other people’s sig once the unit is modified beyond recognition.
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

• I think a general nod towards the original creators is OK...
            Only if a unit is at least 25-50% different from the original should a new sig be added.

If we get lost on the mire of sig-madness, it could lead to much confusion.

I tend not to even bother putting my own sig on a fairline unit, unless the changes are really radical.
            It isn't my work, really - So why blag a creator's credit...He slaved over it, not me!

We could just rely on people to be responsible and honest with sigs...

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by jim panse
              Mhm, Curt, would these infantry chaps make you actually make that scenario
              Grand, sir!

They are now in my unit development folder for the project!

Yep Sov-Steel-ToT is dusted off and in the ultra-early stages!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Soviet Steel ToT? YAY! I'm getting moist with anticipation already!

Comment

• One sig per unit. Stop the nonsense!

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Case
                    Speaking as a public servant, I think that we need to develop comprehensive guidelines governing signature use in Civ2 units. Does anybody want to join me on this? If so, we can form a Working Group or even a Task Force!

Alternately, people could just only add their sig when they heavily modify a unit and remove other people’s sig once the unit is modified beyond recognition.
                    Looks like your Civil Service committee has been active for some time Case
                    Attached Files
                    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

• Originally posted by techumseh
                      One sig per unit. Stop the nonsense!
                      As you said, who gives a sh1t.
                      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

• One sig per unit. Stop the nonsense!
                        I'm afraid that you're in the minority here. Most posters seem to support at least some sort of recognition for the original artists. Personally, I'd keep as many signatures as is possible on each unit, unless I myself drew it from scratch. If the bone of contention for anyone else is utility over integrity, then they are by all means entitled to their views. I'd still do it and continue doing so.

Put it this way. The Federal Trade Comission only allows products with quote, "all, or virtually all," components of American manufacture to be labelled a "Made in USA" product. Omitting any signature is fallicious and deliberately misleading, and insults anyone who has improved on the unit, if the underlying assumption that all changes are improvements, and that every contribution is of equal significance.

I don't want to push this issue any further as I feel that we are blowing this out of proportion. As above these standards should be subjective. We are forgetting the fact that the units are in the end made for use in the game and not the end in themselves.

On the other note, I'll be taking up some of the good suggestions that HT and Case have put up. We should have a discussion to settle this issue and prevent disputes in the future. Here and now is not the time and place for it though. And in the meantime, I'll be putting asterisks on any work that I touch as per Harry's idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by fairline
                          Looks like your Civil Service committee has been active for some time Case
                          I did that before I joined the Australian Public Service. These days I'd never do anything so, well, irrational
                          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

• I'm not sure I agree with the blanket statement "One sig per unit". I also don't believe that more than one sig per unit constitutes "nonsense".

Comment

• Originally posted by typhoon

I'm afraid that you're in the minority here. Most posters seem to support at least some sort of recognition for the original artists. Personally, I'd keep as many signatures as is possible on each unit, unless I myself drew it from scratch. If the bone of contention for anyone else is utility over integrity, then they are by all means entitled to their views. I'd still do it and continue doing so.

Put it this way. The Federal Trade Comission only allows products with quote, "all, or virtually all," components of American manufacture to be labelled a "Made in USA" product. Omitting any signature is fallicious and deliberately misleading, and insults anyone who has improved on the unit, if the underlying assumption that all changes are improvements, and that every contribution is of equal significance.

I don't want to push this issue any further as I feel that we are blowing this out of proportion. As above these standards should be subjective. We are forgetting the fact that the units are in the end made for use in the game and not the end in themselves.

On the other note, I'll be taking up some of the good suggestions that HT and Case have put up. We should have a discussion to settle this issue and prevent disputes in the future. Here and now is not the time and place for it though. And in the meantime, I'll be putting asterisks on any work that I touch as per Harry's idea.
                              I wonder where and when you think IS the time and place? It sounds to me that people are agreeing that a major overhaul=new unit=new sig only. The question, I think, is where to draw the line. I also like the asterisk idea for minor mods.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarsstock
                                I'm not sure I agree with the blanket statement "One sig per unit". I also don't believe that more than one sig per unit constitutes "nonsense".
                                OK. Sometimes when I come home late on Friday nights I am little more "dogmatic".
                                Last edited by techumseh; September 3, 2005, 09:02.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
                                X