Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Cheats to Win ...

Everyone:

I know, I know. Old news. Nonetheless, it remains aggravating.

I hate how the AI isn't affected by pollution. I hate how it can insta-build starship parts. I hate how it can be losing $300 a turn in tax revenue, yet still somehow post numbers in the black. I hate ... well, the damn list goes on and on, and even after eight years of owning Civ II, it bothers me.

Why the f*ck do the programmers let the computer use shortcuts? Did it ever cross their minds that, maybe, just maybe, not every gamer out there is cheating or using unorthodox tactics to win? I mean, I swear that's got to be the mindset they have — "Well, the gamer is going to find weaknesses in the code and exploit it, so I'll just make it so the AI has advantages the human player doesn't! So there! Take that! Don't you even think about hurting my baby!"

Perhaps I'm among the few and the proud, but I *earn* my wins, and seeing the AI cheat in order to keep up makes me want to trash the app on occasion. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet, but, boy oh boy, it's been close once or twice.

And MPing isn't in the works for me. RL responsibilities make it so I just have enough time to play SP from time to time. Hmm. Maybe that's another reason I get irked with AI cheats — I hate wasting all that precious time, only to see a cheating AI win in the end.

**snort** Well, I know I won in my heart. And I suppose that's what counts, regardless of what some anonymous programmer's AI did to "win."

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

They gave the AI a lot of cheats because otherwise the game would be like kicking a baby. They know you're a lot smarter than they can make the AI, and cheats are the easiest way to balance that.

People can complain all they want about how dumb the AI is (and it is), but first they probably should try building a smarter one.

Comment

Agreed, damnit! Where the hell's HAL at?! Or Skynet?!
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Hmmm six levels of play choice, plus the cheat menu if Warlord is too difficult and with classic, one can ramp up to D+3, or even D+5.

Pick your challenge level.

One thing about playing at different levels -- one begins to notice other minor things happening -- some very subtle. I think that the most obvious is the prohibition of disbanding cities at the Chieftan level (so I never play that low.)
        Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Working...
        X