idea about cities and units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idea about cities and units

hi, i have a idea but because it is really chaotic in my mind it might come out a little bit like that so bare with me:

when in the normal game you build a settler the city it is in loses one citizen...

so what if you dont see cities as cities but bases...all the citizens in it are soldiers in training/workforce...each time you build an infantry or a cavalry unit the base (city) loses one citizen...if you are in the modern era..tanks wouldnt have that but like 'normal' need fuel from there bases (like seen in Second front scenario (my favorite scenario all times))...this way you need to think about use the soldiers in training/workforce to build units or make a unit from them...this will make you think twice about sacarficing units...because units represent citizens that have to be 'grown'....just idea...i pretty much thing it is doable...because if you can have tanks that need fuel/food then you can also build units to are settlers but really arent...

ok if this isnt possible or already thought of nevermind...and i dunno if it is something that can be implemented....just a though i just had
    Bunnies!
    Welcome to the DBTSverse!
    God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
    'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

For such an upkeep system to work in Civ2 you would need to give units settler ability (food+shield costs). Does Civ2 support that? I've never really seen much scenarios that have multiple settler/engineer type units.
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

cant you build a settler unit that doesnt need food and shield costs?
      Bunnies!
      God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR

Comment

In that case it wouldn't be a settler, you have to assign the settler role in the rules.txt. Only a settler will lower the city number.

Well, a quick test show that you can give all units the settler ability. Just give them the settler role ('5') in the rules file. Although it's a bit weird to see bombers and fighters flying about that can build roads and build cities.
        Problem is that naturally they will still cost food and upkeep depending on your government (no unhappiness with rep or dem though!). With large fielded armies your cities would basically starve! (realistic in a way)
        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

Wait a min, you can set the food necessity for settlers to 0 in the @COSMIC section. So with that it could work.

@COSMIC
          3 ; Road movement multiplier
          2 ; 1 in x chance Trireme lost (mod. by Seafaring, Navigation)
          2 ; # of food each citizen eats per turn
          10 ; # of rows in food box (rows * city_size+1 = box)
          10 ; # of rows in shield box
          1 ; Settlers eat (govt <= Monarchy)
          2 ; Settlers eat (govt >= Communism)
          7 ; City size for first unhappiness at Chieftain level
          14 ; Riot factor based on # cities (higher factor lessens

Comment

maybe an other idea, if all the cities are millitary bases, it would be more realistic if you cant make any irrigrations and things like that

i dont know if its possible, but you should put the build irrigration, build mining, transform terrain and cleaning polution off

all the units can only make roads (makes it more easy and it is pretty realistic that they can make roads), make Fortresses (logic, army making extra defence for themself, airbases (so your army can act like scouts and prepare a landing place)

like i said, i dont know if its possible, because im new with editting Civ 2

Comment

well thanks for the feedback...i will try to make a mini scenario to see if it works...80 year war of dutch independence maybe!...was thinking about doing one for a long time....but i have no idea where to begin...
              Bunnies!

Comment

yeah, thats a hard one

Comment

It's possible to give all units the settler flag, however, the AI will use them as settlers, not as combat units. It works well only for the human player.
                  Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
                  X