Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some help

ey

i was just editting civ 2 for the last week because i thougth the start of the game could be better (a longer time before you get musketeers)
    so i added a few advances and a few units but it wont accept my changes and i cant see anything i have done wrong
    could someone check my rules file?

things i editted:
    i added advances
    i editted the first few advances in discovering time
    i added a few units
    i editted unit attack and defence
    i changed the prequirments of the baracks
    i changed a few civilizations (but it cant be that, because i already had that)

thank you very much

Prodigy.NL

Code:
    Future Technology,  1, 0,  FP,  Rec, 3, 3    ; ...
    Military,           8,-2,  nil, nil, 0, 0    ; Mil  
    Bows,               3, 0,  Mil, Arm, 0, 0    ; Bow  
    Armor,		    5, 0,  Mil, nil, 0, 0    ; Arm  
    Architecture,       5, 2,  nil, nil, 0, 3    ; Arc  
    Settling,	    6, 2,  nil, nil, 0, 2    ; Set  
    Communication,      5, 2,  nil, nil, 0, 2    ; Com  
    Extra Advance 4,    3, 0,  no,  no,  0, 0    ; X4  
    Extra Advance 5,    3, 0,  no,  no,  0, 0    ; X5  
    Extra Advance 6,    3, 0,  no,  no,  0, 0    ; X6 
    Extra Advance 7,    3, 0,  no,  no,  0, 0    ; X7
    AFAIK, the names U1, U2, U3, X1 ... are hard-coded by the Civ2 engine. Notice that the 2-3 letter codes occur after semi-colons, which are used to denote comments not read by the Rules.txt parsing routine. It cannot find your 'Mil, Bow, Arm, Arc, Set, Com' techs. Keep the new names, but use the original abbreviations in the preq fields.

Does this make sense?
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

I did that once, a long time ago
      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

double post thanks to a browser bug
        I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
        Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
        Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by Broken_Erika

I think most of us did, at least once...
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

i editted it the way you guys said, thank you

but it still doesnt work yet

Comment

Originally posted by Broken_Erika
              No, not me. Never left commas out of the Rules, never used the wrong GIF format, never made my events too long, and never fell for April Fool's utilities.

Prodigy.nl, looks like we only spotted the tip of the iceberg. I'm stumped. Have you tried inserting your new techs after Alp, Bro, Cer, Hor, Mas, Pot, and/or War instead of before?

Maybe Civ2 is choking on the lack of a legal slot 0 or role 5 unit at the start of the game. Perhaps you could experiment with those settings.

These aren't particularly good ideas. Anyone else have something more solid?
              El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

the pre Alp, Bro, Cer, Hor, Mas, Pot and War technologies where the whole idea afther my 'mod'
                i wanted to extend the start of the game a little more without making to much ajustments to the tech tree
                thats why i only altered a few requirments and gave the start units a starting technology

a well, i will make a new and different try or else im going to play mods made by others
                im currently playing colonies 3 and i pretty like it

Comment

Apparently the game expects that the 7 advances Boco mentioned will be available to research with no prerequisites at the start of the game. I restored their prereqs to nil and was able to start a new game. The new techs appeared in the pedia as normal.

I think the idea of delaying the discovery of gunpowder has merit, but, I don't think the very beginning of the game is the right place to insert new advances. You would have delayed the discovery of Monarchy by 3 more advances, and without the rapid initial growth that form of government enables, your player would be very frustrated, especially since expansion in the early game is essential for research.

It seems to me that right around engineering is where the advances start coming fast and furious. How about reinstating the plumbing advance, adding a tech like "counting" as a prereq for mathematics; you could add your architecture between engineering and invention, insert something between literacy and invention (logic? could have lit and math as prereqs); then between bronze and iron you could add your armor. That's 5 additional techs before Gunpowder; try it and see if it has the effect you're going for.
                  Last edited by valmont; January 13, 2005, 03:44.

Comment

Of course, as I realized last night while brushing my teeth, there's nothing to stop you from changing the name of those 7 advances to anything you want. You could change "Warrior Code" to "Psychotonomy" and "Bronze Working" to "Poo Sticks" if you wanted to. Just don't change the prereqs and the game is happy.

Comment

smart thinking Valmont
                      thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                      X