Deity Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deity Strategy

I've reviewed the two Deity Strategies posted in the Great Library, but they do not have what I am looking for.

Perhaps a year ago, I believe I read a long thread that discussed the early Deity building possibilities with a very distinct building order...2 warriors vs. 1 warrior and 1 horse, when to build a temple, how many settlers to crank out, etc.

I am not able to locate that thread via the search engine. If someone knows of this thread, would you please point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

I don't remember which thread you have in mind, but if you are willing to improve your gameplay at deity level, I would advise you to read the 2 guides that you can find on top of this forum, namely solo's "Early Landing Games Strategy Guide" and Peaster's "Early Conquest Guide".
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

I think he is looking for the more traditional diety strategies. That guy who is into conquest, can't remember name, posted one.

Comment

The most useful guide to learning Deity, for me at least, was DaveV's guide to ICS. It has been in the GL for several years. It is fairly specific about what to do, to grow a large civ with minimal problems (but it doesn't advise temples). You may decide later you don't like ICS, but I would still recommend this as a way to start succeeding at Deity.

Thank you, La F, for the plug. You will get your usual share of the profits

Comment

I have tried ICS, but didn't much like it. I have been able to win at diety, but was looking for a different approach. TCO is correct; I was looking for more traditional diety strategies.

Comment

I go along with LF - the EL guide and the EQ guide give you the goods which ever end-game you're looking for. If you want a single line guide, follow the advice I saw posted a few years back (by SG?)

When in doubt build a caravan; if you're not in doubt, build a caravan anyway.

RJM at Sleeper's
            Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Dave V had something.

Comment

Originally posted by granite00
                I have tried ICS, but didn't much like it. I have been able to win at diety, but was looking for a different approach. TCO is correct; I was looking for more traditional diety strategies.
                Noticed there was a three year gap in your posts so, welcome back!!

1--What did you dislike about ICS??
                2--What approach did you already try??
                3--What do you mean by "traditional"??

Or, put another way, what would you like to accomplish?? (conquest, spaceship, big honkin cities, trade empire...)

With a little clarification, a better response will be possible. Also, you mentioned that you have you looked at the Great Library under Deity->Strategies. Matthew and Drago have good basic approaches outlined. Knowing what is lacking in their discussions will help shape a better response, hopefully.

In general, the first nut to crack vis Deity is what to do about Unhappiness. Most of what is offered revolves around that question. You build a warrior first so that the city will be stable when it goes to size two. Strict ICS was developed to solve the problem of city size causing unhappiness. The general rule is to build only what you will NEED in the near term.

If the food box will fill in "X" turns, make sure you have another warrior ready by then, or very soon thereafter (using an elvis). And don't spend 40 shields on a temple when you are still grinding out settlers, as the temple will not be necessary after the settler causes the population to drop. Also, why build a 40 shield, 1g per turn maintenance drain where a 10 shield warrior will do the trick. 10 shield warriors are especially cool if you later build Leo's Workbench and they "become" 40 shield Riflemen.

What combination and order of warriors, or other mil-units, + settlers will depend on the city and where you have placed its workers. If the food box will not fill before a second unit is needed for garrison duty, then build warrior -> settler. Otherwise, warrior -> warrior -> settler. Once the first settler spits out you must calculate whether you can finish a second settler before the foodbox fills again or whether a second mil-unit should come next. Eventually, you will have so many cities that a new city will need a mil-unit immediately as it will start with a red or black citizen. What to do is like the weather--sometimes the best you can say is "it depends."

Personally, I think it is better to build Hanging Gardens before temples and Mike's Chapel before colosseums. They effect all your cities and they do not incur ongoing maintenance costs.

Hope this is helpful....

Monk
                so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

you can run over with a mil unit with the settler. Eventually, you may need insta-temples.

Comment

you can disband a mil unit and then buy the insta temple. when founding with insta-blackies.

Comment

Yep. Two excellent illustrations of how to implement the bare bones point about new cities eventually needing happiness support. Thanks!!

But why two separate posts?? And while we're about it, what did you mean by 'more traditional deity strats'??

Monk

Comment

I just think of stuff after I've already posted. Got a problem with me, Jack? *looks tough*

I think there was a general feeling about how to beat diety that most people had come up with in c.1997-99. And it had to do with making lots of cities and then doing a war in the late game. Single city games pushed the thinking a lot and showed how spaceship wins could be done and how trade/science could be manipulated very adeptly. Others have shown how early conquest can be done and one does not need to wait for modern military units to go crazy.

Comment

No problem, really, and I appreciate your answer. There are so many ways to play Civ2, all of them interesting in their own way. Knowing what to answer to the topic really does depend on what in general the player wants to do.

I came to Civ2 and these Fora in '99 after years of playing Strategic Conquest. I was fascinated by the Spaceship side of the game and the building of strong "Civilizations", because that was something new. So, traditional for me means big sprawling empires with many heavily developed size 20 cities that are "mostly" peace loving scientists reaching for the stars. There is still a great deal of fondness for those 50-shield per turn cities cranking out the freights. What fun that was!!

Get to Monarchy -> Trade -> Monotheism, building The Gardens, Marco Polo, and Mike's, while laying down cities, trading for techs and maps. From this beginning, one can decide which fork to take next, depending on the map and other variables. It is pretty hard not to have a good time.

Monk

Comment

Dear Monk,

Noticed there was a three year gap in your posts so, welcome back!! ..............thanks. I do much more reading than writing here. I have taken periodic breaks from Civ2, but this game keeps me comin' back. Never tried Civ3...always meant to, but now that Civ4 is on the way, maybe I should wait for that.

1--What did you dislike about ICS?? ..............it got a little monotonous for me. I built something like 80 cities and was overwhelmed. Perhaps I should have stopped at a lower number.

2--What approach did you already try?? .............I've done well in OCC, but that can get a bit boring too. ELG just doesn't sound good to me. OCC and ELG seem like they require too much of a cookbook approach. One OCC game seems a lot like the others I'd already played.

3--What do you mean by "traditional"?? ............I mostly like the more peaceful, large population per city, sprawling empires. Strong enough to repel the jealous AI later in the game, but not enough to set out conquering the whole world.

Or, put another way, what would you like to accomplish?? (conquest, spaceship, big honkin cities, trade empire...) ................I mostly like the big cities leading to the space ship.

Matthew and Drago have good basic approaches outlined...................I have read them both. I was originally looking for a past post that dealt more specifically with the early game. It discussed pros and cons of what units to build early on. 2 warr vs. 1 warr and a horse vs. 1 phalanx, etc. The general opinion, I think, is 2 warr. For me, 2 warr never seem to survive early barb attacks. This has led me to build a phalanx instead.

In general, the first nut to crack vis Deity is what to do about Unhappiness. Most of what is offered revolves around that question..............I usually opt to go after the HG at the expense of building the Pyramids and Colossus. I want them all, but that usually is not possible.

Also, why build a 40 shield, 1g per turn maintenance drain where a 10 shield warrior will do the trick. 10 shield warriors are especially cool if you later build Leo's Workbench and they "become" 40 shield Riflemen............very good points. I like Leo's too. Still, I have doubts about the early game strengths of the 10 shield warriors.

What combination and order of warriors, or other mil-units, + settlers will depend on the city and where you have placed its workers. If the food box will not fill before a second unit is needed for garrison duty, then build warrior -> settler. Otherwise, warrior -> warrior -> settler. Once the first settler spits out you must calculate whether you can finish a second settler before the foodbox fills again or whether a second mil-unit should come next. Eventually, you will have so many cities that a new city will need a mil-unit immediately as it will start with a red or black citizen. What to do is like the weather--sometimes the best you can say is "it depends."....................thanks for this discussion. I will have to do more planning and thinking about the future of each individual city.

Hope this is helpful...............very much. Again, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Comment

About the warriors dying vs. barbs, most people use horsies, which can beat any of the early barb units (barb archers get 311 ADM (question: anybody tried modding their defense? what happens? and hp / fp? does he still ose that defense point? I guess this shoul dbe posted in the League, but it came up here.. maybe I will), and they only get attack bonuses (not defense bonuses) due to terrain. Besides, you can later hunt the barb leaders.

That's why I often have some settlers roading early on, delaying growth in their home cities to avoid having to use elvi for a couple of turns and providing a much appreciated public work. (besides, more trade is never a bad idea)
                              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                              X