Non graphic File Editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non graphic File Editing

Use this thread to discuss rules.txt and labels.txt editing,.
    And it would be handy to have tech trees with different techs
    for 4 of 5 civs that people could just download and modify to fit the needs of the scenario that they are working on. I for one am useless at creating tech trees, and having generic tech trees that people could use would definately cut down scenario development time.

And i need a tech tree for my ww2 1950 scenario, all my attempts are garbage.

edit i'll post my tech tree attempt soon
    Last edited by Broken_Erika; December 27, 2004, 20:50.
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

My suggestion for an all around template would be to use the Scenario League's Design Tips ( http://sleague.apolyton.net/Guides/tips_main.shtml ) and make a basic rules.txt file up that identifies which units and techs are wholly editable.

As any veteran scenario maker knows the Civ2 engine is a fickle lady and does not work perfectly well when certain rules are changed.

In fact, I think the best way to tackle this would be to create 2 rules.txt files. One of the files would be the original rules.txt file with red lettering next to each tech, unit, etc... that identifies what the lines are used for. The other file would be a completely "zeroed out" rules.txt with all of the fully editable techs, units, etc... lettered and numbered like so:

Tech 1
    Tech 2
    Guerilla Warfare
    Tech 4

This would be especially helpful when dealing with the techs. When a scenario uses the event.txt file the tech names are not used. Instead the line number of the techs column is used.

Also, even though each tech is given an abbreviation for identification this quickly becomes confusing.

This is a good idea. I've been meaning to make a set of null files for a while now, but since my scenarios take forever to finish I've never done it. All in all it would be a great resource and time saver.

Comment

Erika, in order to get my tech trees to work properly the first time I have taken to using Excel to line the techs up. The drawing option is an excellent tool for creating flowcharts.

Comment

The best way to design a tech-tree is to draw it down on paper... Take into account that a tech might have up to 2 prequisites, and also that there are many techs that have secondary effects. (related to the city and people graphics, happyness improvements, and some other stuff...) There's a full list in the SLeague site, IIRC.
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

my tech tree attempt had 5 civ specific tech lines (5x12 i think) and 1 generic tech line that affected buildings and all
          of the civ specific techs
          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

Here is my attempt, i know, it's crude,

Comment

i may use this tech tree for a ww1 mod which i appear to be making now, ack, help needed,

Comment

My Alikamatsu mod will use the standard civ2 tech tree with
                a few modifications here and there and all of the techs renamed, beacause it's easier that way and it also suits the mod fine beacause there are no Civ-Specific Techs,
                And beacuse i'm lazy that way

Comment

Working...
                X