X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heh, silly me.

Comment

• Posted by Boco
      Am I missing something, or are you describing the effects of capitalization in a high shield city?
      I hope I'm not stealing Techumseh's thunder in mentioning this. No, it's not capitalization but actual cash payments to a limited number of civs (1-2 or 1-3) if they hold a particular city.

BTW, how do you get the strike through text in your post? The strike throughs did not survive being copied from your post and pasted in the quote box above.
      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

• Actually, I had been using glacier and tundra in my scen, but not necassarily in their best utilization. However, to swap out those terrains, I'd have to destroy and rebuild most of my standing cities, unless I can find that elusive utility I've heard about that allows the terrain beneath a city to be changed without disturbing the city.

Comment

• Oh, and thanks a lot typhoon and fairline! The units.bmp looks great, now!

Comment

• I need an opinion. Is this first events text file (the first chunk of the Dec '41-Dec '42 events.txt) alright, at least in terms of its text poppups accurately reflecting the Japanese point of view. I just need someone to review it and tell me what they think in that regard.

Comment

• This event is unesseary:

^Falling woefully easily to the superior Japanese Imperial Army,
              ^the Chinese forces begin to crumble upon themselves. When Peking,
              ^the capital, capitulates, it is all too expected, and Chiang Kai-
              ^shek was already moved his government to a wartime capital in
              ^Chungking, in the centre of the country. However, the Japanese are
              ^bolstered by the victory and prepare to move West into inland
              One of the many historical inaccuracies in Captain Nemo's 2194 Days of War scenario was that the Japanese captured Peking in the 1930s, years before Pearl Harbour.

This one is wrong:

^The Imperial Navy Marines catch the American possession of the
              ^Philipines unaware in their sudden attack. US Marines stationed
              ^there fall victim to the swift strike, and Manila, the territory's
              ^capital, falls to the Imperial war machine. The US military commander
              ^in charge of the island group's defense, General Douglas MacArthur,
              ^escapes from the island with a small force, vowing to return. A
              ^number of US prisoners of war are marched to death by Japanese forces
              ^on the Batai Peninsula. The Japanese High Command begin the process of
              ^fortifying the island chain, intent that MacArthur's arrogant boast
              ^will go unfulfilled.
              The Japanese Naval Infantry and US Marines played only a marginal role in the Philipines campaign, which was fought between US and Phillipino Army forces and the Japanese Army. Also, MacArthur only escaped with his personal staff, and not "a small force".

This is also incorrect:

^The battle for Malaysia goes better than expected for the Imperial
              ^Army. The Straits Volunteer Corps, positioned on the outskirts of
              ^Kuala Lampur, fall to the fierce Japanese onslaught. Poorly trained
              ^Malay troops are mowed down by Japanese soldiers and artillery.
              ^However, the Japanese intelligence indicates that a Chindit guerilla
              ^movement, and similar native militias, are being raised in preparation
              ^for further Japanese expansion into British Asian territory, as they
              ^see even England's decadent Raj as being preferable to Japan's harsh
              ^militarist rule.
              The Chindits were set up over 18 months after the fall of Malaya and were made up of conventional British and Indian infantry, and was not a guerilla force. The guerilla movement in Malaya and Burma was almost insignificant.

Furthermore, the Straits Volunter Force only fought in the defence of Singapore, where it was a small and essentially useless component of the island's defences. The battles of Malaya and Singapore were fought and lost by Indian, British and Australian units.

In regards to another event, the Dutch Queen was in exile in London, not Canada.
              Last edited by Case; March 17, 2005, 05:20.
              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
              - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

• Well, now that this thread is back, I'll use it to track my progress. I noticed some very good suggestions on this thread I liked but forgot about while we were waiting for the restoration (notably trade resources, which I haven't yet altered). My CD-Rom drive is scheduled to be fixed on Tuesday, till then, there's a bit of work I can actually do.

Two things to ask the community, however:
                -First, should I, when this scen is done, make a similar edition with the same units, techs, map, setup, and cities, and similar improvements and Wonders, but different events, so it can be played from the American point of view, or would that not be prudent?
                -Second, could someone PLEASE make me a People.bmp file for WWII Japanese (I especially like your work on this field, Curt).

Comment

• Suffer another graphics update, Patine?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by typhoon; July 18, 2005, 06:47.

Comment

• As for Japanese WW2 people, I'd suggest looking into Dictator TOT...

Comment

• Sorry for the triple post, but I forgot the Japanese...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by typhoon; July 18, 2005, 06:52.

Comment

• Thanks a lot, Typhoon! I may have to paste some of Chris' button shields over theirs, but the actual units are superb!

Comment

• Everything you see here is pillaged from fairline. Superb? Just check Allard's River War thread for the straight goods.

Comment

• OK, I know it's been a while, but here's the new units.bmp file, with Chris' button shields, some US Navy aircraft and updated infantry from typhoon (which he said he took and/or modified from fairline), and a minor but important shading touch-up by Chris (and his WW2 Canadian Infantry, as well). That's the second last thing, with only fixing a bunch of events bugs left, then to playtesting! Let me know what you think of these new units.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• From what I can see, you need to fix the shield placements (the blue dots).
                              Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

• True. In the meantime, here is a version which fixes .png darkening, and updates some of the gfx.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X