Obscure Military Geek Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obscure Military Geek Question

Here's a chance to show your wizardry in useless trivia! Answer any of the following and earn, well, your choice of or
    • What was the military symbol for anti-aircraft artillery in WWI?
    • Alternatively, anyone know of a regimental patch for the AA branch of RFA/RGA?
    • If this stumps you, do you know of a forum to which such a geek would subscribe?
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

The cap badge was the same gun and crown used by the RA and RGA, and in WW2 at least the shoulder flash/vehicle markings were the same as other RA regiments (red over blue in a square). Not sure about WW1 though. Only the RHA had their own cap badge distint from the generic RA one I think.

You may find that there was an Ack-Ack trade badge worn on the sleeve, but I can't find any references to it.

Do I still get a choice of a pint or a banana, despite not providing you with any useful information?
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

No fair, Fairline. You're a WELL-KNOWN military geek!
      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

@ Techumseh

In your honor, two cities in an EA upgrade will be named Fahir El Eyn and Tekk um Sah. They will stand beside El Ottok. Though their Civ is not mighty, it is far from average.

If a well-known geek is stumped, I feel I have a free license to get inventive. Now as long as Case doesn't drop by....

@Fairline
        A banana beer awaits you at Mto Wa Mbu. Just make reservations a week ahead.

Thirty kinds of bananas grow in Tanzania. They use several varieties when making banana beer in the town of Mto Wa Mbu. It takes a day to brew and six days to ferment.
        El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
          If a well-known geek is stumped, I feel I have a free license to get inventive. Now as long as Case doesn't drop by....
          While I've tried my hardest, I've got to admit defeat on this one I've been going through my Australian offical histories of the war, but they've got no information.

I would, however, speculate that there was no military symbol for AA units in WW1. AFAIK, most of the standardised symbols were developed by NATO after the war, and prior to that there were a much smaller number of symbols, and these differed between countries. Certainly the Australian offical history of WW1 is notable in not using any such symbols whatsoever.

As such, I recomend that you get inventive. Some really nutty grognard who knows the right answer will probably declare jihad on you via a cranky email, but all us (relatively) sane people will be happy
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Since when do geeks such as you belong to the (even relatively) sane people??
            Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
            Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
            POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
            LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Certainly the Australian offical history of WW1 is notable in not using any such symbols whatsoever.
              Known to the other branches of the army as the 'Donkey wallopers', the cavalry is the subject of one of the Great War myths- that they were the first love of High Command, but did nothing to help the poor Tommies.
              http://www.1914-1918.net/CAVALRY/cavregiments.htm

I'm going to have fun with the ALH/NZMR/Yeomanry symbol.

@Cyrion: you're right -- posting on this forum is a certifiable symptom. And designing a scenario? I suspect, however, Case has occasionally lurked in even darker forums in his eternal quest for the holy OOB.
              El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

That's a heady brew being stirred up by one heck of a woman!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

LMAO @ Tech & Boco

Tell me Boco, do I get to drink that fruity brew in the company of that charming young lady preparing it so daintily with a big stick?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy Roosevelt
                    Drink daintily, but carry a big stick.
                    Now that I've managed to hijack my own thread, let me ask another question on topic. Was there a generic patch for each of the (Pom) infantry and yeomanry, or just divisional and regimental patches?
                    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

AA gunners in WWI didnt have any special badges the same from the artillary ranks and i think they kept what ever they had first
                      Bunnies!
                      Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                      God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                      'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Now that I've managed to hijack my own thread, let me ask another question on topic. Was there a generic patch for each of the (Pom) infantry and yeomanry, or just divisional and regimental patches?
                        I'm 99% sure that there was no generic patch for the Pommy infantry units. I don't think that they've ever introduced an 'infantry' patch.

I suspect, however, Case has occasionally lurked in even darker forums in his eternal quest for the holy OOB.
                        No kidding. I have seen the belly of the beast - and extracted information about the composition of the Australian 7th Brigade* from it. I'm not going anywhere near the zillions of Germany in WW2 forums though.

However, ancient books are often more scary...

* Which, for the record, isn't anywhere as 'motorised' as the Australian Army would like you to think that it is.
                        Last edited by Case; December 16, 2004, 05:47.
                        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Do you mean did each infantry regiment have their own patch? I think the answer is no - divisional patches were worn on uniform sleeves. These had their roots in regimental patches worn on sun helmets in the Boer war, which might include a particular tartan associated with a Scottish regiment, for example.

Regimental distinctions in the uniform were confined to cap badges and buttons (and kilts for the Scots) with the individual regimental device on them, and in WW2 shoulder titles with the Regimental name.

Comment

Just a little typo...
                            Was there a generic patch for each of the (Pom) infantry and yeomanry arms , or just divisional and regimental patches?

I'm using map 2 as an 'OOB' and was wondering how to put in some eye candy. Any Ideas for the terrains (besides background and civ colors - still playing with those)? Currently I'm using generic AH/S&T style symbols.

Each unit is a city:

Units would look like:

A real grognard's delight, for those so afflicted. Btw, how does Civ2 handle negative numbers. I need to revise the Welsh contribution.
                            El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Working...
                            X