Civ2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ2

after installing Civ2 MPGE for the first time in a long time, I fired up a game

everything starts correctly, all the way to the point where I am to build my first city

than it crashes

now games sometimes crash on me, because of my operating system (I think), but I am wondering if anyone know knows a work arround

I am running XP 64bit on a raptor/x800 pro (athlon64 of course)

Jon Miller
    (I also have problems running Rome:TW, Starcraft, and RON)
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

With Civ 2 and XP you need the latest Indeo drivers...

Discover the latest breaking news in CA and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.
    "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

well, that site is interesting

(I borrowed Civ2 MPE from someone else because I couldn't find my Civ2 MPE disc, but I could find my Civ2 regular disk)

but which is it that I need to download and will allow me to play

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Hmm, civ2 might simply not be compatible with 64 bit operating systems.

Is there any reason why you installed windows XP 64 bit on your machine?
        Do you have another computer whith 32 bit OS to compare?

Comment

On the applications side, since the Athlon64 is completely backward compatible, you should have no problems running any 32-bit applications on a 32-bit Operating System. The problem comes when you try to run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit O/S and although Microsoft supports a “32-bit” compatibility mode in its Windows XP 64-bit Edition, you will run into problems with certain applications like the Adobe Acrobat 5.0 which is a part of the Sysmark 2004 benchmarking suite. Similarly, Windows Media Encoder 9 also refused to install while Aquamark 3 installed but refused to run.
          Last edited by Ljube; December 14, 2004, 15:44.

Comment

The crash might have to do with the city display graphic. Did you edit it in any way?

Comment

Probably not. I bet it's an OS related issue. Or an issue related to the combination of OS and CPU.

A sure solution would be installing a separate partition with normal windows XP just for playing old games (rather all games ).

Comment

Gee... I've had no problems since switching to and XP based machine... and even after loading the big XP upgrade... no problems with Civ II
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I am running XP 64bit

which does have problems running some games that XP runs fine (not sure why, maybe there are work arrounds I don't yet know)

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

No workaround.

The only solution is to install a separate partition with normal XP (32 bit).

Why do you use 64-bit OS anyway?

Comment

Working...
                    X