A couple o' things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple o' things

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I didn't see them in the GL, and don't recall ever seeing them before in a game:

1)Partisans built in a city that is taken or disbanded become NON-units;

2)Building Solar Plant alters city supply/demand. Specifically, oil was demanded and immediately changed to spices.

Any knowledge on these items would be appreciated.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

I don't know if Samson tested for solar plants, but I do know that the demand for oil is halved if you build mass transit or a recycling center. It would seem logical to include solar plants in this list and to assume that Samson overlooked them when conducting his tests.

Comment

Interesting that Spices emerged ahead of Oil. I did not thing Spice was an easy one to generate demand for.

Comment

Actually I have to amend that. Oil was supplied by the city, but replaced with spices when the solar plant was built.
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Re: A couple o' things

Originally posted by Theben

I thought any units previously built in a city that was later captured, disappeared (unless rehomed). If not, that's a new one to me. Ditto for a city that's disbanded.

Or do you mean Partisans generated by an opponent's capture of your city? Those definitely stick around and are NONs.
          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

No, I mean I built them like any other unit, they were homed on a city, and then said city was either captured or disbanded. The partisans stayed around and became NON- units.

Comment

No, I mean I built them like any other unit, they were homed on a city, and then said city was either captured or disbanded. The partisans stayed around and became NON- units.
              Cool. I'll have to try that; it could be a useful trick to rush a number of partisans in a poorly placed city, then disband it. Particularly in Republic or Democracy.
              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

As an example:

And the next turn:

NOTE: Obviously it's a mod but I've had it for a while and it has always been stable- I've never seen any quirks from it outside the normal civ2 ones... also this is version 2.78.

Comment

Makes sense, though - partisans are supposed to be "produced" when a city is captured/destroyed, which would break their support anyway; why not make them yourself?

Interesting terrain graphics, BTW. What's that horse thing SW of the city?

Comment

The horse is a horse, of course.

The 'thing' is a railroad.

I never liked buffalo as a special so I changed them back to what they were in civ1, horses.

Comment

Re: A couple o' things

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I didn't see them in the GL, and don't recall ever seeing them before in a game:

"post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Hmmm, maybe someone should test that with the original files to make sure it wasn't an aberration.

EDIT: It would appear that this is the case even with the original files.
                        Last edited by Theben; December 14, 2004, 21:38.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe someone should test that with the original files to make sure it wasn't an aberration.

EDIT: It would appear that this is the case even with the original files.
                          tested with 'Cedric's patch' to upgrade 2.42 to MGE, I can confirm that partisans become NON's when their homecity is captured.

"I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

I find it difficult to believe no one else was aware of this. If someone reads this and knew beforehand, please post here.

Comment

Well, I must say that I build very few partisans in general. Their stats are not too great given all the other options available at that stage in the game.
                              And when I reach that stage, it's merely mopping up the resistance, and very few cities get taken

It is great though that after so many years new things are discovered.

*Theben gets an entry in the civII history books

Comment

Working...
                              X