Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freeciv and the average Civ2 Scenario designer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeciv and the average Civ2 Scenario designer...

Well, as some of you may have noticed, I've taken an interest in Freeciv, namely Freeciv 2.0, which, by the way, is easily downloadable and playable, even on my old Win98. Get it here:

ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/be...eta4-win32.zip

I decided to put together a nice little list of things I have found out about the game.

Freeciv 2.0 for Windows

New Features in regards to Civ2 besides being near identical in commands, structure, and gameplay:

The Big Ones:

1) You can create unit files, improvement files, terrain files, and tech tree files that allow about 3 times more types of units, improvements, terrains, and techs than Civ2.

2) Graphic resolution and color depth is higher than Civ2: ToT and is on par with Civ3.

3) Sound formats are of higher quality and can be individual to each unit.

4) Up to 30 players.

5) Unit, Improvement, and Terrain size can be increased exponentially. Remember how Civ2: ToT units could be taller than Civ2: MGE units? With Freeciv the units can be obscenely large.

6) An immense opportunity for modification using the logically designed game file structure.

Gameplay:

1) "Worklists" (queues) for city production.

2) Multiple "Tilesets" (World Views) that can be toggled from Civ2 style to Civ1 style to Hex style while playing.

3) City production can be viewed in World View outside of the city.

4) National borders.

5) 72 different message options that can be displayed alerting the player of happenings in his empire.

6) Game Log display at the bottom of the game window that details every change in the game. Also, there can be exporting of the game log into a text file.

7) Pollution and Nuclear Fallout are completely separate types of "pollution".

8) The ability to set units on Auto Attack, Patrol, GoTo/Airlift to City, GoTo nearest city, Diplomat/Spy, and Explode Nuclear (detonate a nuclear bomb without attacking a unit or city).

9) Multiple choices of viewing layers on the game map.

10) Very detailed city resource manipulation by the player.

11) The option to set the units in your city to auto-attack any land units and/or sea units and/or air units and/or helicopter units that come nearby.

12) A Fog of War.

13) The terrain building and pollution options are more varied.

Drawbacks:

1) There is currently no support for an event engine. I have written a very in depth breakdown of the Civ2 event commands and structure on the Freeciv.org forums which has received a good response. Hopefully the designers will come up with something.

If I missed something or got something wrong, tell me.

My opinion? Download it! Play it!

Oh, for the first timers, hitting F3 will allow for diplomacy... Just discovered that. Also, the diplomacy menu is located in "Reports"...
    Last edited by Harry Tuttle; December 1, 2004, 01:45.

Comment

That's a very good summary of Freeciv Harry there isn't much I can add to that.

Minor additions:

The Big ones:

5)
      Freeciv also supports animated units (not used right now)

On the size of tilesets I can quote one of the developers. "There is no theoretical maximum"*.

*The practical dimensions now are probably something like 128x96. Civ3 tiles are 128x64, and unit graphics reach "upward" 50% from that. Larger tiles are possible but probably require higher-resolution displays to look any good.

Gameplay

8) You can select multiple waypoints in your goto command. you can also order settlers to build roads/irrigation to a certain point.
      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Methinks I will be trying this one out...

Don't you need some kind of programmer's suite to run it though?

Any chance of an install tutorial, CapTVK?

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
        http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

If it get the look of regular civ2 (and the feeling) I would definatly play it.
          "Peace cannot be kept by force.
          It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Sounds like a modder's dream boat, sure enough.

I will be testing it to see...

PS
            What is the game structure?
            Are there any 'rules.txt' and unit static art files, etc?

How easy is it to upgrade the vanilla version?

Last edited by curtsibling; December 1, 2004, 09:22.

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
              Methinks I will be trying this one out...

Don't you need some kind of programmer's suite to run it though?

Any chance of an install tutorial, CapTVK?

Nope, no programmers suite. Just download the files from the link, unzip to your desktop (it automatically creates a folder), click on civclient and play.

Are there any 'rules.txt' and unit static art files, etc?

How easy is it to upgrade the vanilla version?
              Yes, look in the data folder. The unit files are in .png format, the same that Fairline was experimenting with a few weeks ago. They are viewable with a good paint program. There are also Civ2 style rules included and some comparable unit graphics.

Be warned, and this is one of the reasons why I think the Scenario League would fit well with the game, is that the graphics are all based on those created many years ago by an Amiga user. They are very rudimentary by say, Fairline's Red Front ToT standards.

Comment

Full colour PNG graphics, you say?

If the system is as easy to manipulate as you state, harry -
                I think I may spend some time this weekend getting into Freeciv!

Have you been doing some upgrading yourself?
                If so, how are you finding it?

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
                  Full colour PNG graphics, you say?

If the system is as easy to manipulate as you state, harry -
                  I think I may spend some time this weekend getting into Freeciv!

Have you been doing some upgrading yourself?
                  If so, how are you finding it?
                  Well I've been perusing the files. As the designers stated in CapTVK's thread all the .spec (rules) files can be read and editied using Wordpad or another text editor, just like we do in Civ2.

Also, I've been doing some digging on the Freeciv forums for tips, modpacks, and clues so I can formulate everything into "Civ2 scenario designer language". http://forum.freeciv.org/

The flow of information from one file to another is really logical.

Also, the cool thing, you can point to bricks of pixels in a graphics file and make those bricks your unit pic by just editing the unit.spec file under a tile format folder (the Isotrident folder in the Data folder in the main directory).

Fool around with it. I think it shows a lot of promise.

Comment

...and as I mentioned I think I might try to make a mod pack called "Zero" that will create the maximum empty slots for the units and such so modding will be easier to do.

Comment

Excellent. Downloading as I post ... and: harry!

Comment

This sounds wonderful if they implement events coding.
                        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Sounds intriguing!

*downloading*

But what is Freeciv, actually? Is it a mod of sid meiers civilization or is it a completely new game?
                          Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Originally posted by Kobra
                            Sounds intriguing!

*downloading*

But what is Freeciv, actually? Is it a mod of sid meiers civilization or is it a completely new game?
                            It is an independently developed game that mimcs Civ2. They have tried their best to remain in the GPL license and not infringe on copyright. It was originally written for Linux a long time ago and have evolved over time with Civ2, SMAC, Civ3, etc...

Comment

I'm playing right now, and I spesifically like that you can play up to 30 civs at once!

But can one play or make scenarios with this thing?
                              Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Working...
                              X