No announcement yet.

October Civ 2 Tournament: Celts - Spoiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monk - It is not about whether you beat the AI. It's about when you do it. To me, it is more like a race than a hazing. It can be pretty challenging and exciting.

Comment

I know; believe me, I know.

I just think you will tire of this quickly...the only variables being the map and random Barb effects, and perhaps, whether you get to Monarchy at the optimum turn.

Yes that is overdrawn; there are lots of crucial choices along the way. You will enjoy this for however long, and, you will remember this later.

I'm not being negative, for I rightly marvel at the results you folk are acheiving. This is just a suggestion for another day.

Monk
      so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Perhaps some of our more fiendish members could try their hand at designing more difficult maps?

Aside from a few contributions to CFC GOTMs, I have not had the time this fall to make a good stab at playing. One of our other issues is that we are not bringing in new players, and we may be losing older but less skilled players as we crank up the difficulty level. I noticed this over at CFC as well: the GOTMs that were easier attracted more players than those that were more difficult. The experts still have opportunity to shine with earlier landing or conquest dates, but beginner and middling players were not discouraged from giving it a try. Worth thinking about for the future of the Civ2 community...

Comment

Maybe we could have a Pro-Am tournament, where the beginner is allowed to ask as many questions as they like from a single coach ? But I'm not sure we'd even get enough people for that.

Comment

I am willing to start a new tournament, even if there are only 2-3 people to play. But I only have MGE, so I don't think the 2.42 people can open my saves.

Comment

Peaster,

I would participate if we have another tournament. Since I have 2.42, I could supply a random start (no special maps or any other tinkering) that we all could use. I think more players would join in if this one does not impose any restrictions and it might benefit your ECG to have a few more tournaments to explore and compare EC ideas and strategies.

Comment

Solo - Sounds good to me!

Comment

Victorious in 1420...

This exposed some weaknesses in my conquering abilities. It seemed to start out nicely, but the AD years were brutal. Here is a log for RCC.

Plan: irrigate city site, build exploring warrior, then 2 size 1 settlers. Prepare city sites for production, irrigating if necessary. then found the three cities near enough for wonder building. LH and shipchains will be helpful. Poly-Crook rush is the way to go.

4000BC Kells founded.
                  3750 Irrigation finished.
                  3650 mining rivered hill
                  3550 working gold. Mining gold.
                  3250 Size 1 Settler
                  3200 Gold Mine
                  2650 Gov: Monarchy
                  2450 second size 1 settler. Camarthen, Armagh founded
                  2200Maps=>BW. Start building Triremes
                  1650 Curr=>Trade
                  1450 Trade=>HB
                  1500*Excellent Colony island found.
                  1300* Babylonians: give 50g, trade for Writing, WC. Give maps. Peace. trade maps. Aha! babs have fertile lands.
                  950* Rest to ponder. Should Babs be taken out fast with Elephants??Will I need HG? or just Mono?
                  5 Cities, 2 Triremes. 3 vans in production. Kells size 3 - with Seafaring a harbor will help grow it.

925 Armagh: Settlers - to board waiting trireme. HB=>Poly. Babs: War. Ashur razed, pottery.
                  825 Camarthen builds LH.
                  675 Poly=>Myst
                  625 Kells Hides to Ur (d, 148)
                  550* Germans: Ask 50g tribute: WAR.
                  400 Lit=>Phil. Persians: want to trade IW for Poly. We say no, gift to enthusiastic, no maps.
                  350* Aztecs found
                  275 Phil, Mono=>Seaf. Tax to 70.
                  225 English found. No maps.
                  200 Little Bighorn builds HG. This was a big drag on my production
                  50* Babylon captured (Pyr.) CF for 200g.

1AD Rest to reassess. 9 Cities +1 Settler. 6 Ellies. 8 Crooks. 7 Triremes.
                  Probably could use a Caravan or two...

Attacking prospects:
                  English - 2 crooks and an Ellie landing in 1 turns.
                  Persians - 2 Crooks ashore - not enough to raze Persepolis.
                  Babs - still in Cease Fire - Enough offense to clobber Ur and Ellipi. Currently consolidating the ex-Bab lands - perhaps some caravans should come from the North.
                  Aztecs - we need to send a flotilla there from Babylon
                  Germans - Need a flotills from Caerphilly.
                  Sioux - have HG. We are still looking for them.

20AD Found the Sioux! Tech bomb them - peace, maps!
                  120*Ellipi taken. Babs destroyed.
                  240 English: War. We lose 3 crooks. It goes like this for the next 1000 years.
                  300 Kells Silk to Persepolis (d, 360) Persepolis captured. My first elegant turn in a while...
                  320 Aztecs: Construction. Bridge B=>Eng
                  400 Hamburg captured. Persians destroyed.
                  580 Berlin captured (Colossus)
                  680* Michelangelo's Chapel in Ur (finally)
                  740 Konigsberg captured; Deutschers destroyed. (123g, Eng)
                  960 LBH captured (HG, MPE) Sioux destroyed.
                  1000 Caerphilly Silk to Tlaxcala (d, 300)
                  1060 Chiv=> inv. Armagh captured by Barbs. Babylon Silver to Tlaxcala (d, 270)
                  1080 Nottingham captured. English destroyed.
                  1160 Teotihuan captured (Great Wall). (inv)
                  1200 Gunpowder=>Demo
                  1220 Sure is tough conquering.
                  1240 Tenochtitlan conquered (GL)
                  1360 Demo=>Leadership. Revolution (oops - no Oedo chart nearby...)
                  1420 Gov: Demo. Aztecs destroyed.

Citizens: 265
                  Achievements: 160
                  Barbs +25
                  Score: 1140
                  Civ Score: 148%

By the way, my bonus score seems always to be within 100 points of 1140. Seems to be a rut...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations to all players for their fine games in the October Tournament!

Here is a table with the results:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ha! Dead last by almost a millenium! That means I must have had the most fun!

But I also have the extreme satisfaction of having Peaster's EC strategy guide describe the ineptitude of my play in almost psychic detail.

I am hoping to break 1000AD in the next one, but I am not taking bets.

Comment

Grigor, since you beat us all by 300 years in GOTM 45, I will gladly bet on you to break 1000AD.

Comment

Thanks Peaster - it is true that, on lower levels with excellent hut luck, I can sometimes do not so bad. If any of you had gotten a nomad in GOTM 45 there would have been a different result.

But looking over that game, I see that I used a Chess strategy and took the most centrally located AI first. That made smaller adverse consequences from my failure to send timely flotillas to the outlying enemies.

I neglected to notice that that was a good idea in the most recent game. But I look forward to trying it out in the future, especially in conjunction with the excellent analysis and ideas in the EC guide.

Comment

Remember to post your games in the HoF. The creator of the course should start a tournament by using this link. Once the tournament is made in the HoF, simply click on the link for the tournament, and then press the link that saves submit a save, and follow the instructions that are on that page.

Comment

Working...
                            X