Civ II won't work properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ II won't work properly

When I click on the Civ II Icon all I get is this message.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

What should I do?

Do a full reinstall--from the game disk--and see if that helps.

Monk
    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

What version of windows are you using?
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

XP

Comment

Did you install, or are you trying to run from CD?

XP has "compatibility settings" for previous versions of Windows, although I did not have to fiddle with that to get my current copy of Civ2 Classic 2.42 to run without trouble. The one thing I needed to do before the install was to update the Indeo video driver. Uninstall Civ, update Indeo, and reinstall.

Comment

I have downloaded the Indieo drivers and I am running WinXP SP 2 and I get the same error as the first person who started this thread. I am trying to install Civ II gold edition. I have tried my backup CD to no avail. My CD is not scratched. I have tried to run the setup.exe with different compatibility settings to no avail. Any information that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

None of us has reported experience based on SP2. There are many programs that do not function with the new Service Pack. Unfortunately, Civ2 may be in that category. I hope not.

Has anyone installed SP2 and still enjoys Civ2 functionality??

Monk

Comment

My machines are all SP2 - and Civ continues to run without problem -- in all cases, however, Civ was installed before the SP

Stu
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Thanks, Stu; that's good news.

So now we can assume that SP2 does not break Civ2, which it does for Corel's WordPerfect (isn't that curious?). But, maybe SP2 overwrites something (that is not otherwise being used) having to do with 16bit programs. Again I must ask, have you tried a full reinstall from the game cd?? Have you updated the drivers?? Have you tried using the "Compatibility" function in XP which allows older progams to run??

Monk

Comment

I thought I had answered the questions, but to be more clear:

Yes, my game was not installed previously, so I was essentially starting anew from the CD.

Yes, I had the newest Indeo version, the graphic for starting displayed, but I will make sure all of my other drivers are updated.

Yes, I tried the compatibility functions, all sorts of combinations.

I emailed atari support and if anything comes of it, I will post here about it.

Comment

Found what you may be looking for. Upon inspection, I found that my autoexec.nt file was missing. You need to create one and it should work fine, at least it did for me. Here are 2 links that explain how to fix the same problem:

Find answers to C:\WINDOWS\System32\Autoexec.nt from the expert community at Experts Exchange

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

Hope it helps you like it did me.

Thanks for all those that did reply

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk
                        Do a full reinstall--from the game disk--and see if that helps.

Monk
                        it wouldn't even let me reinstall the game. Now what? What the hell is this, it worked fine, now it won't even come on.

Never mind I got it fixed. Thanks fellas.
                        Last edited by communism; October 5, 2004, 09:32.

Comment

Working...
                        X