Winter game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter game

Hey all, long time no see. (well most of you anyway).

My summer chores are winding down and I am looking to seriously get another game going for old times sake.

I think we should try to come up with a game that we've never come up with before. Diplo games drag too long, and only several have ever been completed (and that's a stretch). Standard games run too short, don't require any imagination and employ the same strategy over and over again.

I think a new type of game with a set goal, a set end game (other than total annihilation or spaceship), is what we should try to come up with (that is if anyone is interested). Could go straight for population, or a money total. Perhaps first just to reach future technology one? Perhaps first civ to control a set number of wonders? Ideally the game would utilize science, military and economy. It would not be one night affair, but it would also not be a 3 month affair. I think a good number of players would be 4. Enough to have a variety of competition, little enough not to make it drag.

ozzy, deity, you guys would be great of course since I have the most history with you guys, but anyone whos interested let me know.

My optimal evenings would be mondays, wednesdays or thursdays.
    I see the world through bloodshot eyes
    Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Interested in a Civ3 Diplo?
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Just quickly, I can do USA Weds and Thurs nights!!

later... great to hear from you Sir Francis.

(forget civ 3 - i lost my cd anyway)
      "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
      *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

OK, I had a quick think, sugestions:

* only take one city per turn
        * no alliances (unless 6 players)
        * no invasion cities
        * city number limit? say 12?
        * reduce attack strengths, howies etc
        * one nuke per turn
        * create a mix of win conditions worth set points -
        SS = 20 points?
        Each wonder = 2 points? (even Eiffel!!)
        1 mill pop = 1 point
        1000 gold = 1 point
        pollution squares = -1 point

That's just to get discusion going. I'm sure the balaqnce can be improved. WE could even use the Civ points system!!! LOL
        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

And set 2000 as the victory year!!!!

We've never played MP to that year and it gives us time to play after SS landing.
          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Has civ 3 reached the dicount bin yet? No? Ok then, I don't own it. Sorry ozzy

Comig up with our own scoring system could be interesting deity. And I like most of the ideas as far as restrictions go. A set year to call the game, and use our points system to determine the winner sounds interesting. Don't think anyone has ever done that before.

Could just have a restricted units list, where civs would be prohibited from using certain units. That way we don't have to screw with any of the configs.

If I had to choose from either Wednesday or Thursday, I'd choose Thursday.

What do you mean by no "invasion cities" Deity?

Comment

Invasion cities are when you plonk down an Engineer right near your opponent (like for example 2 squares from your cap) and build an instant city, fill it with transports full of attackers and belt the crap out of them... it negates naval power and discourages use of naval attacks.

I use it a lot and rarely use naval bombardment, marines etc.... I'd like to be told to stop it!

Deitry Dude, Makeo and possibly Ljube might be good for this timeslot.
              *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Thursday is perfect and I agree on banning certain units, like howies, artillery and spies.
                *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

And I hope ozzy plays too!
                  *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Civ2? Booooring.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ok then.

NO INVASION CITIES!

Let's start ironing out some rules.

First off, let's set the number of players we need. I say 4 is a good number, with 5 being the max. I think we should play on a medium to large map, 1x1x, king, mid level barbs.

I think a city cap is a definite, and perhaps even unit cap. Also, I think we should somehow limit caravan creation and perhaps outlaw using caravans to help build wonders.

My main goal is to have a game that has an attainable end, and a setup that discourages slowness in the mid to end years. I want to break the cycle of games ending prematurely due to boredom
                      or logistics (games just become ridiculous when everyone has 50 units to move).

Perhaps simultaneous turns could be considered as well?

Throw some ideas out here.

Comment

A simple "not interested" would suffice ozzy

Comment

Booooooring.

Comment

so far it's just you and me drake

I suspect we'll hear from DD and Zylka soon, and possibly Makeo....
                            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

OK - I might be interested

not sure if I like the point system idea

How aboout a few simple rules that will speed the game up:

12 city max
                              no caravans
                              no nukes

it seems to me the things that really slowdown mid-games are caravans and the amount of cities.

just a suggestion - Im pretty much open to anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X