No announcement yet.

Heresson's scenario news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to add that Kyros (in Muslim tradition known as al-Mukawkis) was supposed to have contacts with Muslims before the invasion: that's why Muhammad had a Coptic wife
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
      I put their early triumphs down to mutant camels, created by Aliens!

This reminds me of a (long gone) game on my Commodore 64...

Thanks for reminding me of how old I am...
      Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
      Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
      POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
      LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Anyway, the Arabs, as I know the best, conquered ME thanks to Createunit event...
        Middle East!

Comment

Playtesting, ye say...
          I am not the best Civ2 player ever[in fact, I'm the very opposite], but I'm fanatical when it comes to byzantine history and historical accuracy in scenarios- these two facts have logically turned me into a worshipper of Heresson's immaculately crafted scenarios, so, if there's any action to participate in, I'm there.

Comment

Thanks.
            This scenario won't be that accurate, but we'll try to make it a decent one.
            Gimme your e-mail please
            Middle East!

Comment

Re: Commentary

Originally posted by Exile
              .....These comments about the appearance of the Arabs on the international scene are only a sample of what I've seen on this subject. It remains mysterious to me, and, apparently, to others as well.
              That's a good point - digging out some old source books (and an old Osprey edition LOL), which admittedly date from 1986 when I was studying for history A-level , there are some indications given as to the state of the Byzantine army at the time of the Muslim conquest. Firstly there is a suggestion that defenses were considerably weakened after the Sassanian invasion of the region some years before. Also, after Maurice's death in 602 and the subsequent struggle between Phocas and Heraclius the army effectively collapsed as a coherrent force and the reforms and restructuring of the army by Heraclius may not have been as effective as history credits them. I think the adoption of the effective Thematic system was a reaction to the Muslim conquests rather than preceeeding them, although I may recall this incorrectly (?).

The smoking gun, however, may have been the degenerating Field/Fixed army system inherited from the Roman Empire. There were apparently five Duces charged with defending Egypt and Tripolitania, each with their own small army which by this time was more loyal to their commander than the concept of the Byzantine Empire. The most effective of these was that of the Thebaid Dux which was not used in the defence of Egypt until the Muslims had reached the Dux's own province; indeed, two Duces didn't contribute to the defence of Egypt at all. Pretty much the same thing happened in Syria: the Byzantine regional armies did not co-ordinate their efforts and as a result the Muslim invaders were able to deal with each one individually. Had the Duces combined their armies the result would undoubtedly have been a resounding victory for the Byzantines, given the qualitative and quantative superiority over the Arab forces you mention.

There is also a hint that the largely Coptic population of Egypt were antagonistic towards the Orthodox Byzantine rule, which can't have helped in securing a successful defence. In fact, didn't the Coptic governor of Alexandria defect to the Muslims IIRC?
              Last edited by fairline; September 20, 2004, 12:58.
              http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

I doubt a Copt could be a gouvernor of Alexandria.
                I guess You mean patriarch Kyros by it.
                Middle East!

Comment

Very interesting period to do a scenario on Heresson.
                  Curt Sibling may have something on his siege theory.
                  You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
                  We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Comment

Thank You. Play the scenario when it is out!
                    And like it!
                    Middle East!

Comment

Here is a thing I'll use as the title image of Heraclius probably. It comes from later times, but it's, as long as I understand, the escalation of the Cross, and this holiday was established in memory of Heraclius taking the Cross back to Jerusalem (or am I wrong?)
                      Attached Files
                      Middle East!

Comment

IMPORTANT
                        Thanks to Gothmog's CivCity, I can play with trade demands and supplies in my scenario. Anybody knows any nice ancient economic map so that I knew what should supply what? Surely I know Phoenicia can supply dye, Pont region iron, Trebizond silver, Slavic cities can supply slaves, timber, furs or amber, but I need info about every region...
                        Middle East!

Comment

Usually alot of world history text-books or in depth history books have early trade routes.

trade
                          You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
                          We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Comment

thank You, but it is no good... They usually don't say on those maps what was the commodity not to mention where was it produced...
                            Middle East!

Comment

Try the link above

Comment

But I did!

Anyway, I've found a right map, just from much much earlier times.
                                Surely the slave recruit regions have changed since then, and some other stuff too, but I guess the iron or silver producing areas didn't change that much.
                                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                                X