No music in XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No music in XP

Can anyone give me any tips on how to get music to work with my computer? I've just bought 1.02 and upgraded to 2.42, then got the latest indigo (sp?) drivers so that Civ2 works fine on my computer (a WinXP laptop). However, there is no music. The sound effects, videos etc are fine, but even toggling on/off the music there is only silence. I've searched this and other fora - it seems a common problem but I have not found a solution. I only have one CD/DVD drive so it's not a problem of finding the right drive. I gather it could be that I am have some software to play music CDs loaded on start up that does not work with Civ2 music files - unfortunately, I am clueless about this stuff. Can anyone give me any hints as to where to find out what software I have and how to change it so that it might work with the Civ2 music? Cheers
    Simon

No music?

Just be thankful.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

There is a Technical Support forum over at CivFanatics that may be able to help you:

This forum is for technical questions, such as compatibilities, game installation, sound, or video problems.

Comment

I've never even heard the music, movies, and council as I'm playing without cd

But judging from the music of colonization, call to power etc I'm not really unhappy I'm missing these extras
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I never realized how annoying it all was until I shut it down.
          Even the Council got repetitive and boring.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Sometimes the save files folk provide for possible starts or Succession Games has the music on. What a shock!! I can't shut it off fast enough. You are better off with out it.

Monk
            so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Is there music on Civ 2?

Comment

When I'm playing, even the sound of a clock three rooms away disturbs me.

Music? Not in a million years.

Yours doesn't work? Count yourself lucky and don't complain.

Concentrate on the game and be happy for small mercies.
                Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

the traditional answer is that Civ is looking at the wrong CD drive -- but as you say this does not apply to you -- as long as your CD has the next drive letter following your HDDs.

A possible fix is to move the sub-directories that lie under Civ on the CD onto your HDD in the equivalent position - you may have to hand edit the civ.ini ?? file as well -- sorry this machine does not have Civ loaded so I cannot bring up the file to be certain of the name or to detail the edit (using notepad)

Hope this helps, Stu
                  "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                  "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I don't think it has to do with XP, as I hear it fine there.

Comment

Sseems your really never heard the music, did you?

You could try the following in that order:
                      Check that music is enabled in ctp.
                      Check that the cdr drive is doing something
                      If your cdr drive has a phones jack, connect a headphones/boxes to it.
                      If you now hear the music, quit ctp2, connect your audio eq to the notebooks jacks again (well, some have builtin speakers...) and try playing with the cd volume settings in xp while playing the audio tracks with media player.
                      If not, look for weird settings in userprofiles.txt and try again.
                      If nothing is muted and volume is setup properly, you should hear music, and in ctp2 as well.
                      If not and you are unable to listen to audio cds either, your cdr-drive may not to be connected with the notebooks sound chip (it's very unlikely a driver problem, if you were able to listen to music using the cdr-drives' jack).

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X