Calculating beakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating beakers

I suspect I'm going to feel a bit foolish as soon as someone posts a reply to this, but here goes.

My SSC has 116 trade arrows.

At 100% research that converts to 116 beakers.

Library + university + research lab takes me to 290 beakers.

Copes + Newton's takes me to 870 beakers.

But the game is reporting 928 beakers.

Where have I gone wrong in the calculation? Is there something else that adds beakers? (For the sake of this calculation I have changed the einsteins into elvii.)

RJM at Sleeper's
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Sir Isaac's doubles beakers for each scientific improvement, so ...

Library, University and Research Lab each contribute 58 beakers before INU, but each yield 116 after the wonder is added:

Total = (116(base) + 116(library+INU) + 116(university+INU) + 116(lab+INU)) X 2(Cope's) = 928

Comment

Originally posted by solo
      Sir Isaac's doubles beakers for each scientific improvement, so ...

Library, University and Research Lab each contribute 58 beakers before INU, but each yield 116 after the wonder is added:

Total = (116(base) + 116(library+INU) + 116(university+INU) + 116(lab+INU)) X 2(Cope's) = 928
      Thanks - it was Cope's that I was miscalculating. The civilopedia says that it increases science by 50% rather than doubling!

RJM at Sleeper's
      Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

I have another question relating to Science and beakers that has nothing to do with rjm's question, but I didn't see any reason to start a new thread with another Science strategy question.

I am using the civ2planner to figure out the next available techs in a game with an accelerated start. At the start of the game my civ had 4 techs (in 2900 bc). City planner doesn't seem to match up with the techs I have now, and looking back at my notes of available techs (which are very spotty at best) it seems as though techs in an accelerated start game are treated as "free advances" similar to those which you start the game at 4000 bc with sometimes (your civ has knowledge of Mining, Roads, Irrigation and Bronze Working).

If these accelerated start techs count as "Free Advances" then it affects not only the available tech choices but also beakers counter.

Can anyone confirm or deny my theory that the advances you start with in an accelerated start count as free advances in the same way they would if you started with them at 4000 bc?

Help would be much appreciated.

/me
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Sparrowhawk,

I haven't used accelerated starts, but normally any techs coming with the start do not cost any beakers.

However, the cost of the first tech is 10 beakers on a medium map. If this is also the case in your accelerated start, then you can conclude that the starting techs won't count against you during that game.

Starting techs always influence what appears on the list of the first research choices. Successive research lists will follow the pattern discovered by Oedo, and they always depend on the total number of techs you have.

RJM,

I think the Civilpedia mistated the effect of Copernicus, and that it meant to say that after the wonder is built it contributes 50% of the total beakers being produced in the city. It would have been less ambiguous to just say that it doubles city science.

The same goes for the definition of INU, in making this wonder sound like it does what Copernicus does!
          Last edited by solo; June 6, 2004, 12:28.

Comment

Working...
          X