Help with ED?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with ED?

It occured to me that I want to get Electile Dysfunction finished by election day if at all possible, so I'm getting my lazy butt into gear. Problem is, I don't know where to get certain graphics. The Campaign Advisor Wonders, for one thing. I know it's easy for some people to take a picture and shrink it down to icon size, but I'm a screwup with graphics programs. I'd be willing to scour the net for the pictures to be modded, but is anybody on 'Poly willing to do the modding for me? The advisors are people like Michael Moore, Gloria Steinem, Bill Clinton, Charlton Heston, etc.

Also, while I have successfully made "Pork" and "Funds" icons for luxuries and taxes respectively, I don't think my skills are up to the city graphics I'd like. Is anybody willing to make city pics of a blue donkey and a red elephant? I'd appreciate different sizes, but all one size is cool too, beggars can't be choosers. I'm talking about an emblematic, flat, logo-style donkey and elephant, not realistic depictions of the animals that happen to be a weird color.

I know I'm asking a fair amount, but I'll be glad to give credit and to spare where it's due, and if I can somehow return the favor with what skills I have I will. Any takers?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

When you mean city pics, are you looking for additions to the Cities.gif file or the icons.gif file?

Comment

Elok, if you can wait until June 2nd, I can help. By that time I hope to have a permanent connection. I've done a few icons and I will do what I can and playtest if you need.
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Thanks, AC! June 2 is all of one week away, which seems like a perfectly reasonable delay.

And I'm talking about cities.gif. Cities are a terrain type in ED, so "cities" actually represent democrat or republican control over the voting base. Hence the city graphic will be a donkey or an elephant. I don't know what to do about the neutral and third-party cities; what graphic do barbarian cities use, the bronze age?
        1011 1100

Comment

Who will control the neutral/3rd cities? Do you have separate tribes controlling them?

We can also have some fun with the tech, too. Imagine if you set Industrialization tech to something like "Republican bribery" and then Automobile to "Democrat bribery". Depending on what happens, you could use an event to gift the relevant tech to the neutral cities, and that would make them suddenly change city styles!

If you put donkeys onto the Modern city style and elephants onto the Industrial city style, this would make for entertaining aesthetic changes!
          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I also means the democrats would be 'more advanced' and once they had received Democrat bribery, they could not become republican, but it could happen the other way around. If only that was realistic. Also, do you plan on making the Scenario victory points for cities proportional to Electoral College votes?
            Calling all Designers, the SL CivGroup is open for business!

Comment

Yes, GP, it's the electoral college system, but I've cut it in thirds, because five-hundred-odd objectives is way too much. Even as it is, I had to squeeze six triple-objectives into CA. Because some states have a number of votes not divisible by three, I had to round up or down to the nearest multiple before dividing sometimes, so the representation isn't quite accurate, but I came pretty close.

All "neutral" states are represented by the barbarians; otherwise, a player could choose to be "miscellaneous third party" and start with all the votes, which the dems and reps have to win. And there are other gameplay issues arising from making third-party civs, like the question of who to have represented, and the absurd chance of a third party winning, which could come about if they could advance like a normal faction and get wonders. Third parties, as in the real world, exist not to win but to irritate and keep others from winning. And to be absorbed for campaign fodder, of course. So I'm afraid I can't use your idea, AC, but thanks anyway.
              1011 1100

Comment

What role (if any) will Naderites play? I think it could be interesting to put Nader in and irritate everybody.
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I was planning to just say third-party in general is barbarian. No sense in making 'em playable if they can't win and probably shouldn't get campaign advisors of any significance either. Of course, I can still wind up with something absurd like Rush Limbaugh supporting the Democrats, but you can't have everything. That's why I'm planning to pick the most generally well-liked and respected candidates possible as "leaders."

Which is a good question; John McCain is the obvious choice for republicans, but who's a universally respected democrat? I was thinking Hillary, but she's not really that moderate. She's just more charismatic than the jokers who are actually running.
                  1011 1100

Comment

You can count on me for some help

Comment

Glad to hear it, Justinianum (is it okay if I call you Justin or some such for short? Your name's a bit long to keep typing in full)!
                      1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                        Glad to hear it, Justinianum (is it okay if I call you Justin or some such for short? Your name's a bit long to keep typing in full)!
                        no prob
                        Can you provide me some pics to work with?

Comment

Oh, wow, you meant right away! Sorry. Give me a couple hours to dig around the net. Well, Dissident's avatar is a great picture of Michael Moore right there...but I'll look one up.
                          1011 1100

Comment

Actually, thanks to Google Image search it took all of 15 minutes. But I have sixteen of these stupid things to make into icons, and I'm limited to one attachment per post...grr. Well, I hope Ming doesn't think I'm spam-mongering.

Dunno how much work adapting images involves, so I'll just post the first four. Tell me if you need better pics, or if your generosity doesn't stretch to four.

EDIT: Grammar
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Elok; May 31, 2004, 21:10.
                            1011 1100

Comment

And numero dos...
                              Attached Files
                              1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X