Obsolescence of Manhattan Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsolescence of Manhattan Project

Does the tech that obsoletes the Manhattan Project obsolete the production of nukes?

Do the nukes currently in production get upgraded/changed into a new unit, if a new unit becomes available with this new tech?
    The Slim End Of The Long Tail -
    Kaplak Stream

I think once the nukes are triggered by the wonder, only a tech that causes nuke unit obsolescence will do it.
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Obsolescence of Manhattan Project

Originally posted by hardjoy
      Do the nukes currently in production get upgraded/changed into a new unit, if a new unit becomes available with this new tech?
      Not unless you change it manually to the new unit. Not sure about the manhatten thing btw.
      Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Isnt the nuke unit slot a special slot though?
        Visit First Cultural Industries
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I always thought that the only thing special about the nuke slot itself was that they would threaten you with "my words are backed with SUCH-AND-SUCH" if they could build that unit. It's attack of 99 that requires a civ to have Nuclear Fission, causes a shockwave, and needs the MP...
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Re: Obsolescence of Manhattan Project

Originally posted by hardjoy
            Does the tech that obsoletes the Manhattan Project obsolete the production of nukes?
            Obsolescence of the the Manhattan Project should (untested) cause all units of Attack 99 to disapear from the production menu.

It may cause the unit in the nuke missile slot to be removed from the production menu even if it is not Attack 99.

It should not effect units in currently in production.

[SIZE=1] Do the nukes currently in production get upgraded/changed into a new unit, if a new unit becomes available with this new tech?
            Unit upgrade is only triggered by tech based obsolescence. The tech that obsoletes the Manhattan Project could also be the tech that obsoletes the nuclear missile, however, making it appear to work. What the civ engine considers an upgrade path for nuclear missile is another question.

Comment

Don't forget Musketeers and Knights. God help the poor bum who makes a land unit into a Nuke and forgets to change its role...
              1011 1100

Comment

Thanx guys ! - It was really helpful

Regarding the upgrade path, as far as I've tested, nukes are upgraded quite normally to the unit that becomes available with the tech that obsoletes their construction. This has great effect in my 'Hammer' scenariro where the viking nukes ('Hammers') are upgraded to missionaries.

I wanted the wonder obsolescence to work as a time pressure on the vikings - i.e. they have to build the 'Blood Sacrifices' (Manhattan Project) wonder before this tech is researched in the game, or the wonder won't work.

From what I gather from you replies, if hammers are in construction at this point, they can still be produced indefinitely, if production is not changed. However, increasing civil disorders and need for other improvements will create a pressure which will still make for an interesting dilemma. -continue the violent pagan rituals, or give in to much needed city development.
                Kaplak Stream

Comment

I assume the "missionaries" that make them obsolete are diplomats? If they had the same role I'm guessing they'd simply "Hammer production changed to Missionaries in Lillehammer" or wherever.
                  1011 1100

Comment

They do not have the same role - the upgrade txt "production changed...etc" is simply triggered by the new unit that becomes available with the tech that obsoletes the old unit. So when Baptism cancels pagan weapons, but allows missionaries, the pagan weapons currently in production are "upgraded" to missionaries instead.
                    Kaplak Stream

Comment

You sure? Leonardo's Workshop won't activate unless the units in question have the same role; see the FW MooJr. scenario, where Destroyer II had a different role from Destroyer III (I think-it might have been the cruisers), and Tellik (LW) refused to upgrade 'em. You'd think the production-upgraded list would judge by the same criteria...
                      1011 1100

Comment

On a second check, they DO actually have the same role, incidentally. Its just that the missionaries have zero as their Att value, so in effect they're not really offensive weapons - but they do have role zero (Attack) just as the viking nukes. This helps make the AI send the missionaries forward, rather than hide them in their cities. - didn't think this influenced the upgrade, but it seems you might be right.
                        Kaplak Stream

Comment

Working...
                        X