Scenarios from the Community: Age of War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenarios from the Community: Age of War

I chose to play this scenario as Spanish king in honour of my friends at the Spanish Civ Site.
    And I can tell you it is tricky.

1) The Spaniards are so weak in the early game, compared with the English or the Germans, that you really wonder how to catch up (about 15 techs late and very poor production).

2) I started fighting the French very soon in order to improve my 'lebensraum'. They were well ahead in techs, but I could fight victoriously, combining RR and Heavy Artillery and concentrating my forces.

3) Bad news: a popup appears telling me that the max number of units allowed in this game forbids me to build the unit. And that popup is about to appear hundreds of times during the following 10 years

4) Bad news: I have finished travelling along the Southern and Eastern coasts of the Mediterranean. My troops are now facing the Russians close to the Black Sea. I have just taken the glorious city of Sebastopol with most of the Russian fleet inside and a young and smiling Russian partisan strikes: '17 units lost'
    (this is my personal record for the number of units lost in one blow: I was playing late at night and forgot to build the fort I usually build to protect my wounded units).

5) Good news (at long last): I have now taken about 40 of the 55 Russian cities. I am still about 10 techs behind the Germans but my statistics are now better than theirs. I have built fortifications and stationed fighters in all my cities along the borders. I shall attack them next turn.

6) Bad news: the Germans sneak attack = 38 units lost

7) Total war against the Germans: I have now more than 50 fighters busy destroying the numerous German bombers of all kinds, and my main task force (more than 120 vet Artillery and 120 vet medium tanks) takes German city after German city.

8) July 1928: Spaniards take Berlin and own 170 cities, which means more than 2/3 of the 254 cities on the map.

9) I declare that this is a decisive victory, in accordance with the rule that we agreed upon when playing the CiC scenarios 2 years ago, arii, XinYu, Marquis de Sodaq and myself (when the author of the scenario has not given objectives, conquering 2/3 of the cities on the map is considered a decisive victory, in order to avoid long and boring endgames).

10) This scenario is one of the very best I ever played.
    The only drawback is that micromanaging more than 100 cities takes a long time (and about 165 turns were required to achieve decisive victory with the Spaniards).
    Congratulations to the author, whose name is EXILE.
    Attached Files
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Congratulations once again, mon ami!! I think you have more fun with this wonderful game than any of us.

Do you get these results on your first go at a new scen, or does it take a few attempts to "see"the game plan?? Either way, I am very impressed.

Monk
    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk

Do you get these results on your first go at a new scen, or does it take a few attempts to "see"the game plan??
      1) Usually "first go" (this was the case with this scenario)

2) But it happens that I need to play a few turns as some kind of training, especially when there are big mistakes to be made during the first few turns, due to new features created by the author. I shall mention that from now on.

Comment

I think that a bit of pre-play checking out the new scen would be necessary; at least it would be for me. Thanks for the clarification, though, as I said, it doesn't detract from my awe.

Monk
        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

QUESTION

what is the maximum number of units allowed?
          is that limit global or per-tribe?
          > INSERT RANDOM COMMENT HERE<

Comment

Originally posted by josefstalin
            what is the maximum number of units allowed?
            is that limit global or per-tribe?
            1) I don't know = I never met that limit before.

2) I suppose that the limit is global, just like any other limit in this game.

Comment

fancy that... the Spanish conquering Europe
              > INSERT RANDOM COMMENT HERE<

Comment

Once more the Master strikes!

Well done, again, LF

Stu
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                X