No announcement yet.

Microsoft suspended distribution of the Indeo codecs as a base part of WinXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft suspended distribution of the Indeo codecs as a base part of WinXP

Has anyone else come across this??

Sorry if it's been discussed elsewhere but I just did a clean install of the latest WinXP which includes SP1 and as soon as you run Civ2MP you get a pop-up message referring you to the Indio fandago site:

Indeo XP is available for purchase and download through our electronic store for $14.95.

If you have been referred to this page by a pop-up message or a third-party software provider (for a game or other multimedia product), and are not certain that you require Indeo to make your software work, please contact the original manufacturer. We cannot support or answer questions regarding third party software or hardware. In addition, as Indeo XP is a downloadable product, we do not offer refunds once the purchase has been made. Please see the section on Sales Policies for additional information and to get assistance.

With the September 2002 update to Windows XP (known as Service Pack 1), Microsoft suspended distribution of the Indeo codecs as a base part of its operating system. This only affects users with new PCs that are shipping with Windows XP Service Pack 1, or clean installs of Windows XP SP1 on an older system. Unfortunately, a number of game and multimedia titles require Indeo to be installed on the OS in order to function.
    Civ still runs fine though, it appears so far...
    "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

yeah it didn't run fine for me. wait until you build a wonder or something.

you can download it from http://hometown.aol.com/cedricgreene/
    Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

That raises another point - does civ2 still run on modern fast machines?
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

If you have any problems try running it in compatibility mode - win98 works great
        <>---Cyber-Spyder---<>

weaving webs within the web...

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
          That raises another point - does civ2 still run on modern fast machines?
          Goes like the clappers on real computers with Mac OS10.3.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

That's good to know - I've been worried.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Getting an eMac with Panther for Dad. That what you got finbar?
              "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
              *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Originally posted by deity
                Getting an eMac with Panther for Dad. That what you got finbar?
                I have an eMac, upgraded to 10.3. Mrs finbar has the desklamp iMac. I couldn't see the point of paying extra for what is pretty much the same computer - fancy-pants design aside.

Oh, and I cranked up the RAM, too, to 640.
                Last edited by finbar; March 26, 2004, 07:40.
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                  That's good to know - I've been worried.
                  With a real computer you wouldn't be dealing with all this whatever-it-is Indeo codecs bullsh*t.

Comment

Hydey shakes head and turns on the footy
                    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Working...
                    X