Twin cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin cities

Rusty from the inactivity (almost 6 months if not more without Civ ) I wanted to regain the basics of the game and I started to surf the Strat forum.

Taking in consideration Stu's "Making the most of Specials" ( ) and the reply of rah ( ), I wondered if anybody started a game with the idea of using a "twin cities" empire: building two cities one next to the other and considering it as one single city.

Could this lead to some beneifts? (i.e. sharing the defender, intracity trading, exchanging specials, food caravan trading)...

(edited minor typo)
    googol... this is a number!
    "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
    "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Now if they were on opposite sides of the date line ....
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
      Now if they were on opposite sides of the date line ....
      googol... this is a number!
      "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
      "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

can you get around the cities being right next to each other limit if they're on opposite sides of the IDL?
        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Sounds like Dallas-FtWorth...

A city on one side of the IDL will not be blocked from using the same tiles as one on the other side, so they could share specials. You won't get four, but you might get two or even three. The IDL breaks the special pattern.

Comment

and FB - a qualified YES -- I have seen the AI do this, but not actually performed the feat myself

Stu

Comment

... but I just tried it and failed

Comment

The AI always builds there second city 4 squares from their first one, if possible. I'm not sure if direction matters. It doesn't matter if there are any other cities next to it.
                Vote Democrat
                Support Democracy

Comment

are you sure its four squares.....i get confused with the way squares are counted....to me it seems as if they are three away...

as for twin cities , rarely have i had the luxury in MP to make that work, certainly not for my capital and second city....though that would be a great feat.
                  Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

since the IDL breaks the specials pattern, I wonder if it's possible to have your first and second city with 3 specials each, with one of them shared across the IDL.

When I was first thinking about this idea, I wasn't thinking about the pattern breaking, and was imagining a small peninsula with a 4 square special on the end, and the second city built on the gold mountain across the IDL on the continent side. city 2 then becomes an almost invincible defender for city 1. ah, well

What would be the ideal situation to find (or make)?
                    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Most random maps I have seen, the IDL runs between the land masses. The Map Editor/Generator rarely puts land crossing the equator.

A full special pattern is shaped like this:
                      ......S1..S2..
                      S3..S4..S5..S6
                      ......S7..S8..
                      So you can have one city with four specials (S1-S2-S4-S5) and two cities with two (S3-S7 and S6-S8), or two cities with three specials (S1-S3-S4 and S5-S6-S8) a little further apart.

Comment

Attention, please !
                        'Twin Cities' is a Trade Mark of La Fayette

Read this:
                        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
                          are you sure its four squares.....i get confused with the way squares are counted....to me it seems as if they are three away...

as for twin cities , rarely have i had the luxury in MP to make that work, certainly not for my capital and second city....though that would be a great feat.
                          I'm pretty sure it's four squares, but I'm not sure how it's counted.
                          Vote Democrat
                          Support Democracy

Comment

In one MP game, I started on the line, on one of those 2 square narrow land bridges. I was able to place my first two cities so that they were both able to use the same two whales. Needless to say, I researched map making early.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Father Beast
                              can you get around the cities being right next to each other limit if they're on opposite sides of the IDL?
                              Thinking about this I remembered your earlier thread about this. I used your save and removed two cities to get to this position. If you try to build city, you will be told "not allowed".

So, no, one cannot use the IDL to build cities on ajoining tiles, each on different sides of the IDL.

Monk
                              Attached Files
                              so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Working...
                              X