Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fun game idea

WIMPY SPACESHIP ALTERNATIVE

This is an idea for a game to play for some fun.

I recently started what amounts to chemo-therapy and felt I should remove myself from SXN game rotation. But, I still wanted to play some Civ to keep myself distracted (and sane). In one of the games I noticed, and mentioned, the potential to go for AC rather than the chosen Conquest path. This mention was met with a "wimp" comment, so I decided I'd see how an AC Alternative would stack up against the SXN game outcome.

Those who played or followed the free-for-all game will recognize this map and position. I started with the 1140a save, just before the shift to Republic. What made me think of AC was the fantastic trade potential with two off continent AI. Also, to make for a good comparison, I decided I would reduce the AI to one zoo city to mimic the conquest game. The thread game ended in 1857, with a score of 1673, and a Civ rating of 217%. My AC Alternative ended in 1859, with a score of 4186, and a Civ rating of 544%.

I think that is not so wimpy afterall.

I feel certain that many years can be taken off that end date by a player not as drugged out as I was during most of the play. And I highly recommend that this be tried by others as I had a blast. This was a trade fest, with massively overbuilt cities, so perfectionists will love this.

In case anyone wants to give this a go, here is the starting save. Enjoy!!

Monk
    Attached Files
    so long and thanks for all the fish

Great to hear that you're able to Civ now and again, Monk!

This looks fun. Unfortunately, I would be unable to entartain participation until at leat the 2nd week in March (some travel upcoming, and currently holding the bag in two sxn games).

Nice score in my book, btw...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

What's interesting about this is that you essentially conquered the world AND landed a spaceship by the same time that the thread players only conquered the world. I'd expect the demand of learning space techs and building the ship to interfere with the conquering process. Do you have any explanation?

Comment

I too think its great you're still civin'

I might even try to be a wimp myself! No promises though - killing that last city is soooooo tempting.

Stu
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

By all means, give this a shot, Stu. Just remember it for a rainy day, JR. It was great fun!!

debeest, what you ask is the heart of the "problem". I'd prefer to wait to answer you to give others and you a chance to find the "solution". I have already given away a major spoiler.

And I did not intend for this to be a "challenge" affair. Just wanted to share the fun...and I wouldn't want to spoil anyone's fun. Come on!! It's just a bit more than 700 yrs of gameplay.

Monk
          so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
            I too think its great you're still civin'...Stu
            Ditto.

I'll add this to my single player game obligations (I'm a bit behind with those, however...)
            Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Working...
            X