Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Deep Breath* The Broken Kingdom, first crude Beta release!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Deep Breath* The Broken Kingdom, first crude Beta release!

After many a metamorphosis, the bloody thing's done! Yay!

The graphics are almost all rips, and my computer is mute so I couldn't add sound, but I tried to make this an innovative and challenging scenario, at least when and if it gets converted to multiplayer. I didn't really try to make it AI-friendly, but if anybody here suspects the computer would do a less-than-totally-pathetic job given proper instructions, do tell me. Also tell me if you have other suggestions, have discovered bugs, want future versions to include pics of Ben Kenobi and Fez in speedos, whatever. Any constructive criticism welcome!

Wow, I can't believe I'm done. Somebody give me problems to fix before I get postpartum depression.
    Attached Files
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

In retrospect, most advertisers don't try to promote their products by apologizing for their flaws. Time for an actual blurb to focus on the positive.

The Kingdom of Arkan is split in a three-way civil war. After over four decades spent in hiding, the sorcerous traitor Rucillus has swept in to take vengeance on the King who ruined his life. He kills all of the Royal family but one, the infant Prince Sebastian, who is rescued by the merchant Penth and swept off to the south. Rucillus claims Arkan's throne by right of conquest. Acting as protector of the royal family, Penth raises an army against Rucillus.

The two are poised to clash when the bastard General Maximillian returns from the west with Arkan's Legions. Sent by his father the King to conquer the lands to the west, Maximillian has returned victorious to find matters at home not at all to his liking. Not wishing to share his newly-won glory with the notoriously sullen nobleman, Penth accuses Maximillian of conspiring with Rucillus. Maximillian, never the most subtle or even-tempered of men, retaliates by swearing to kill both of his enemies.

Each of the three factions has its own unique strengths; Max, naturally, has superior military might, and the potential to become the greatest conventional force in Arkan. The trick for him is to keep pressing the offensive until he realizes that potential-it takes a LOT of research!

Penth, skilled demagogue that he is, enjoys the most popular support, starting with the most cities, the greatest unit-support capacity, and a good head start on economic infrastructure improvements. He gains his unique wonders and units the quickest of all three factions.

Rucillus, being severely unstable and a sorcerer, has no problems keeping his people in line, and has a tremendous advantage in terms of magical units, which he supports for free. Non-magical units, however, all require support; Rucillus is good at inspiring terror, not loyalty. While immensely powerful, the mad necromancer might actually be the hardest to play.

Though, of course, we won't know who's the hardest to play as if nobody playtests. Apolyton's operators are standing by!
    1011 1100

Comment

Congrats Elok! Post pics! (I'll bet you could get Sarstock or another talented artist to make a title.gif)
      Last edited by Boco; March 11, 2004, 23:05.
      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Thank you. Now, embarassing question: how does one go about posting screenshots? I remember hearing that the printscreen key actually stores the screen to memory, but where in memory?

EDIT: N/M, I figured it out. I seem to understand things instinctively as soon as I ask others to explain them for me. Heh. Uploading now.
        Last edited by Elok; March 12, 2004, 10:45.
        1011 1100

Comment

EDIT: To hell with the upload service. I'll just attach it.
          Last edited by Elok; March 12, 2004, 11:09.
          1011 1100

Comment

Man, they sure screwed up the upload system. Here's an attachment until I can figure out how to post a bloody uploaded pic. Color got messed up though. Ngh.
            Attached Files
            1011 1100

Comment

Printscreen stores it to clipboard.

Open up your favorite graphics program and hit Control V.
              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

IF you want help with units i may be able to contribute something if you like my style
                Attached Files

Comment

Played a couple of turn and enjoyed it! Great job, elok!

One suggestion: Could you please go to the cheat menu, scenario parametres, and reveal whole map, so we can see the names on enemy cities?
                  Last edited by Eivind IV; March 18, 2004, 05:27.
                  Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Thanks, AC, but I did figure it out eventually...

Varwnos: what I'm looking for is mostly better tower-type and magical graphics, not cavalry. I actually really like a lot of the stuff I have in there now (for some reason, I absolutely love Max's unit pic); it's stuff like the cheesy History of Midgard thunderbolt that irritates me. Don't really care for the firestorm graphic either, or the barrier. That sort of thing. There's an abundance of conventional units to pick from, and I'm not too picky. If you can make a better Thunderbolt or Fortress, OTOH, I'd gladly take it.

Wow, 10 more downloads than the last time I checked! I guess people really will download more readily if they know what they're downloading.
                    1011 1100

Comment

Kobra: Heh, sorry about that. I did reveal at first, then decided various civs needed more cities, plus I didn't do it for all three (do I need to?). But thanks a lot for giving it a whirl.

Okay, the to-do list:

-Fix AI value modifiers so 'puter knows what to research
                      -Reveal map for all players.
                      -Find better graphics if possible, esp. courtier, who currently looks like a zombie drag queen, and the aforementioned magic units, etc.
                      -I think events.txt could stand additions, just to add flavor. Yes or no?
                      -Unit and player balance. I know I'll have to wait a LOT longer than twelve hours for the verdict to come back on that, unless the balance is WAY off, but if something's screwed up or too cheap, do tell me.
                      -Not sure if more units would enrich or detract from gameplay. How would you folks feel about each faction getting three unique types?
                      -Anything else?
                      1011 1100

Comment

Now for an image of the actual game...but with the color still badly distorted. Can't have everything.
                        Attached Files
                        1011 1100

Comment

Okay, how do I give this monster better press? Are there other sites I should submit it to? I want to wait for some kind of substantial feedback before fixing the minor flaws, in case there are major flaws I missed. Or am I asking too much?

[/needy]
                          1011 1100

Comment

Looks like you use ocean in an unusual way. Can you describe what you're doing with unit domains, etc.?
                            El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Yay, a response!

The basic unit types are:
                              Horsemen/Knights/Paladins/Crusaders-"Ships" which can move on open plains only, can't carry anything, but are strong as all get-out.
                              Magicians/Warlocks/Sorcerers/Wizards-Lighter "Ships" with the carrier ability. Easily hurt.
                              Thunderbolt, Barrier, Firestorm, Whirlwind, Ruinous Light-Magic spells, which need to be carried by magician types.
                              Drudges/Workers-"Domain three" settlers with the trireme flag. Workers can dig rock quarries and block off sections of plain with piles of rubble.

Gotta go, more later.
                              1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X