Scenarios from the Community: Spanish Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenarios from the Community: Spanish Civil War

This scenario, designed by Guillermo Lòpez, is played on a huge map of the Iberian peninsula.
    I achieved a Republican decisive victory in january 1939.

(details next post )

Attention, please, NEXT POST IS A SPOILER
    Attached Files
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Attention, please, don't read this if you intend to play this scenario soon.

The problem with huge maps is that you can't expect to play the game quickly because micromanaging of more than 60 cities takes time (and if you don't micromanage you are toast ).

Anyway, as expected, the Nationalists attack with much stronger weapons than those of the Republicans. The early game is mere survival.

I felt I had little choice and decided to build almost only 'fortresses' (a special defensive unit that cannot be moved from the city where it was built, but very cheap (30 shields) and the best available defensive value).

It appeared quite soon that a fortress alone was no good (except on terrain with high defense bonus), but behind walls the fortress was more or less OK.

The problem was therefore to choose wisely betwen taxes (in order to build walls quickly) and research (in order to acquire the tech named 'Russian help' and be able to build stronger units). I chose high trade with Palma de Mallorca (in order to get both the offshore and the foreign bonuses).

(to be continued next post)

Comment

My hope was that the situation would improve after the 'Russian' tech was discovered, but apparently it didn't, because as soon as I became able to build stronger units I was sneak attacked by the French (a few turns before a message telling that 'the French government had decided to help the Spanish Republicans' ).

What was even worse was the number of modern units appearing on the Nationalist side (especially very powerful Junker bombers). I don't think there was one single turn with less than 15 units lost on my side from then on .

Once more I felt I had little choice and I gave a high priority to the building of the best fighters available (the so-called 'Moscas'). Many were lost, but they managed to protect Madrid and the RR to Valencia.

The problem was that, even with fierce defense, I couldn't stop the Nationalists in the south, where they took smaller city after smaller city, and even worse, I could not stop them in the north either. They even took Santander with a happy wonder inside.

I decided to give high priority to the building of new RRs
      in order to be able to use Artillery (my strongest attacking unit) like we can use howitzers in the 'vanilla' game... and it worked: little by little I managed to conquer Nationalist cities in the North while they went on conquering smaller cities of mine in the South.

This went on until I came to Burgos with more than 20 vet artillery. I managed to take the city and the Nationalist Empire collapsed: a sudden but well-deserved victory .

Comment

Once again a tour de force, Monsieur
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Thank you !
          For once, it was very much a question of nerves, because I usually try to achieve very low casualties and I felt somewhat dizzy when looking at a window announcing '25 units lost'

Comment

Working...
          X