What makes a MP game fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a MP game fun?

Hey guys, never posted in the other subsection here before. Wow, so different...

Anyways, I'm working on a multiplayer scenario right now and I just wanted to ask the avid MP players what makes a MP scenario fun.

Like:

What are the most anticipated aspects of a MP scenario?

Are easter eggs a wanted bonus?

What parts of a MP scenario do you hate the most?

etc, etc...

bes tpart is the interaction of humans and the friends you make palying regualrly. yes not an in game concept i know, but is still the best part of mp..

Worst part is the end game situatuon of moving hundreds of units around

another problem is all the damn caravans.....
    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

personally - and this is just me speaking - I don't like scenarios in multiplay. Pre made maps on the other hand is a different story. I have mixed results with premade maps. sometimes they provide for an even game. sometimes the person making the map tries so hard to make sure the game is even that all the starting position are mirrors of each other or everyone gets a great start which IMO takes away from some of the initial contest of finding a livable spot quicker then your opponents.

as for scenarios, the problem is, as I see it, that in a multiplayer scenario - one player starts with an advantage. in general, no one that i know that plays MP wants to start with an advantage. if u win everyone says it is because of the advantage if you lose its embarassing. by the same token noone wants to play a serious MP game and start at a disadvantage unless they dont respect thier opponents abilities.

anyways that my 2 cents

Comment

friendships are the best part, but a game where something is on the line, whether its your own existence or plotting the demise of someone else.

Something more than a caravan push!
        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I'm still a big fan of the "thrill of discovery"... the early part of the game is still the most interesting as you uncover the black squares and find out just how screwed you are

And yes, the later game gets bad when the 1000's of units and caravans come into play. If there was a way to limit the number of units... and help speed up the game... that would be great in my mind.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

There is a way.

We play 7 players OCC. I am sure the game will be fun.

7 players OCC thread

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
              I'm still a big fan of the "thrill of discovery"... the early part of the game is still the most interesting as you uncover the black squares and find out just how screwed you are

And yes, the later game gets bad when the 1000's of units and caravans come into play. If there was a way to limit the number of units... and help speed up the game... that would be great in my mind.

Excellent, that is exactly what I had in mind.

Comment

the discovery is everthing in civ, that why i never use the hut finder or resourvcce locater, i like the surprise ....

Comment

seeing Eyes quit a game b/c his archer couldn't take out my phalanx, and claim he was cheated!
                  Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Raz beating Eyes!
                    "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Too many caravans is a big drag. Especially on the time it takes.

Also I find worlds that are too big really screw things. The game turns into 'who can micromanage a large civ best' instead of 'who can interact with players best'.
                      MP should be about interaction, strategy and roleplaying; not about rules, points and game mechanics
                      <>---Cyber-Spyder---<>

weaving webs within the web...

Comment

learning your oponents weaknesses and exploiting them.

I also prefer the discovery aspects of the early game.

As long as you don't get anal on caravans, many can be moved each turn without much delay.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber-Spyder
                          Too many caravans is a big drag. Especially on the time it takes.

Also I find worlds that are too big really screw things. The game turns into 'who can micromanage a large civ best' instead of 'who can interact with players best'.
                          MP should be about interaction, strategy and roleplaying; not about rules, points and game mechanics
                          i prefr the larger maps, i never micromanage i feel it only slows down the game. I too busy thinking of who to backstab next to think about where to put each city resident ...

Comment

Just so I can kiss up to the possible playtesters, here's a pic of the scenario in construction:

Comment

here you go.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X