Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irql_not_less_or_equal

Bit of a technical problem here..

I've seen this whenever I play any 3d games - Battlefield 1942, the Sims, Railroad Tycoon 2, etc. But now I've just fired up Civ2 (MGE) and its doing it to me again!

My computer used to just crash (restart) after about 10 minutes of playing. I fiddled with some settings so it brings up a big blue screen first. This screen says the problem is:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

It also says a load of other technical stuff I don't understand (letters and numbers, basically). It won't let me back to windows, and all I can do is restart. It tells me to update all relevant (?!?!?!?!) drivers.. which I've done. Anyway, I can't get a screenshot, so don't ask.

I've got an AMD Athlon 2200 which I believe is 1.8ghz. ATI Radeon graphics card, 512mb DDR RAM, 80gb hard drive space.

I've virus checked and defragged. No change.

Unsurprisingly, I'm using Windows XP

I use cd cracks for some games (possibly including Civ...!), but it happens to all my other games, so it can't be that.

Anyone know what this IRQL thing is?

Can anyone help at all?!
    Roar!

Does this happen when you try to multiplay - or is this an SP effect?

If the former - try cross posting in the Civ2 Multiplayer forum..

Stu
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I've never played multiplayer Civ :P

A relative trying to be smart bought me MGE when I already had Civ2. So I just play single player.
      Roar!

Comment

Googling "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" got me a list of references to your issue, including at least one at MS.COM. One of them said "If you encounter bug check 0xA while upgrading to a later version of Microsoft® Windows®, this error might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version."

This might be helpful:
        To resolve an error caused by an incompatible device driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup tool

-Check the System Log in Event Viewer for error messages that might identify the device or driver that caused the error.
        -Try disabling memory caching of the BIOS.
        -Run the hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer, especially the memory scanner. For details on these procedures, see the owner’s manual for your computer.
        -Make sure the latest Service Pack is installed.
        -If your system has small computer system interface (SCSI) adapters, contact the adapter manufacturer to obtain updated Windows drivers. Try disabling sync negotiation in the SCSI BIOS, checking the cabling and the SCSI IDs of each device, and confirming proper termination.
        -For integrated device electronics (IDE) devices, define the onboard IDE port as Primary only. Also, check each IDE device for the proper master/slave/stand-alone setting. Try removing all IDE devices except for hard disks.

Try Google and read the different analyses before you start experimenting, and change only one thing at a time!

Comment

Have you installed MGE in the recommended version? It has a whatsit I can't remember the name of that it will install at the same time and this ensures that the game works properly.
          I can't remember what this mysterious thing is called, but my advice is basically to uninstall it and then reinstall.

Comment

I think Duke's "whatsit" is called Direct X (followed by a number, which is the version number). Direct X is the interface between software running the game and the graphics card.

Comment

Yes, that's it.
              Thanks solo.
              If you have a different version of this and try to play the game from the disk then maybe it will not work to optimal settings and you could experience problems. Installing the Direct X drivers should make the game run better, but if this isn't your problem then don't give up! Just ask again.

Comment

Working...
              X